Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drive probs  (Read 2065 times)

newm1ke

Drive probs
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:34:10 AM »
Hiya, I'm having this problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. My comp downstairs (which uses win 98) got a bad virus and I was forced to format the computer. And now I'm having trouble installing Win 98 again. I put the boot disk it goes through some options (asks what image to use or something) then after a lot of loading, goes into the DOS Command prompt where I have no further idea what to do.

It seems it doesnt read the CD-Drive (even the setup says it used a cd driver each time). I'm just wondering what dos commands are can use to check what drives are available. For example D: is now MS-RAM apparently. Is there a way to check what the letter for the cd drive is? Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: Drive probs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 04:04:57 AM »
Put your Windows CD in the drive and either insert the floppy you have or download a boot disk (free at www.bootdisk.com) and choose the first option you get which includes CDROM support. When you get to the a:> type in

e:\setup

and press enter and you should be off and running.

If that doesn't work, post the exact message you get.