Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard light is on but PC doesn't power. It works in the shop, not at home  (Read 1936 times)

NaoSou

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    First of all, what I got in the computer:

An Asus Prime B350M-K for AMD4 mobo
    A Ryzen 3 2200g with its own fan
    1 memory sticks of 4 GB
    PSU Corsair GS700

That is it. For the sake of testing, I have NOTHING else plugged. No GFX, no chassis fan, no external cooler, no hdd or sdd, no usb connectors.

Now, the problem is this:  My computer was fine one day. I turned it off for the night, and when I tried to turn it on in the morning, it didn't work.

I plug the computer to the power outlet. The mobo's led turns on. Pressing the power button does nothing. The cooler doesn't turn on, the fans of the CPU don't turn on, there is no video image through the on-board, there are no beeping sounds. No signs of life at all.

Now, here is what I tried:

- Tried another power outlet. In fact, I even tried it in a power outlet that I have ANOTHER
    computer on(one which works). Didn't change the situation at all.

- Tested the PSU with a paper clip. It turns on. For the sake of testing, I also tested with an entirely different PSU.

- Checked all the connectors and cables. Several times over. They are on properly.

- Tried swithing the POWER and RESET connectors in case the button was broken. *censored*, I even tried another tower entirely.

- Tried setting up the mobo outside of the tower just in case it was some kind of short or metal touching something that it shouldn't

- Tried another memory stick. Also tried another socket

- Tried a different power cord

At this point, I can only presume that it is the mobo. But I sent it to the warranty TWICE and both times they told me it is fine. Now I want to believe they are jerking me off, so I took it to a technician to see if he had another opinion.

The computer turned on in the tech shop. Nobody touched anything. Nothing new was added, nothing was removed. We didn't even touch the cables.

- It wasn't working

- I took it to the tech

- It worked

- Took it back home

- Didn't work

Again, I checked the power outlet. It is fine. I even tried different power outlets that I know for a fact are working, even by testing another computer on the,.

Anyone has a clue what this might be? I still think it is the mobo, simply because there is no other option.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Have you tried it without the Keyboard and mouse just to see if it posts. Perhaps your keyboard or mouse is shorting the usb port. Are you using the same video connection as the tech has. A VGA shouldn't be necesary but does seem to work all the time.
    Also you can force start the power supply using a paper clip when the connector is plugged into the motherboard. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan