Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Links from emails in Outlook Express to the web.  (Read 2114 times)

DerekinFrance

Links from emails in Outlook Express to the web.
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:23:59 AM »
Somehow any links that I receive in emails have stopped working. If I click on them I am taken to Internet Explorer but nothing is put in the adress field.  If the link is a full web adress then I can copy and paste it and it will work, but more usually the link is just a "click here" type message, and then I am really  stuck!  What have I done? [smiley=huh.gif]

pcdoc4christ

Re: Links from emails in Outlook Express to the we
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
... What have I done? [smiley=huh.gif]

That's the question that you might have to answer for us.  Did this behavior start soon after you installed new software, a Windows update, or new hardware device drivers?  If so, you may still have time to use the Windows XP or Windows ME System Restore utility to restore your computer's system files to the state they were in prior to the problem.

Let us know,
Doc
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 01:19:06 PM by pcdoc4christ »

DerekinFrance

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:40:51 PM »
Thanks for responding so quickly Doc. I tried System Restore as soon as I read your suggestion (and had not realised how powerful it is on XP). I had  loaded some drivers for a "pre-XP" scanner and a webcam and so went back to before then , to mid November in fact. But, no luck; the link problem remains and I suspect now that I have probably had it ever since having a new hard disc and processor installed earlier in November - I had crashed my drive after corrupting XP,  apparently by running the drive pretty close to full. I am a Brit living in France and since my French is not always up to translating all the Windows commands on my French pc, my neighbour did the change-out for me.  I know I must sound like a pretty hopeless case but I would really appreciate suggestions as to what to try next.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
Derek:

Perhaps the easiest fix is to do a repair installation of Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-29%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=%22repair+installation%22+windows+xp+site%3Amicrosoft.com&btnG=Search

You may also do a search for support documents in the French language:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?gssnb=1

I lived in Europe for a few years, but never visited France.  Maybe some day i will!

Take it easy,
Doc

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:33:24 PM »
     DerekinFrance   ......Just a quick question ......... If I read you right ....... You haven't been able to open links from your E mail since you had the HD and CPU replaced back in November ....... If that correct are you sure that your outlook express is setup properly ?
    One more thought ...is your Internet Explore set as your default browser or are you using something else ?
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:42:11 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.