Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Power Supply - Using New PSU (w/ Rocker switch) with PC w/ Momentary Switch?  (Read 3541 times)

kehughes

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hello!

I'm in the process of making some upgrades and I need to know if I'm about to make a mistake! I'd appreciate some help/clarification.

I have an Acer Predator G3-605 that I want to put a new PSU in. I've noticed that most PSUs have rocker switches on them. My current PSU does not have a rocker switch (or any kind of switch directly on it). Instead, my PC has a momentary on/off switch on top-front of its case, (on the opposite end from the PSU).

My four questions:
    1. If I replace my current, no-switch-on-it PSU with one that has a rocker switch on it, will I experience any issues with turning the computer on/off? Is it bad to do this?
    2. If I replace my current PSU with one with a rocker switch on it, would I still need to use the momentary switch to turn on the computer? How would that work out?
    3. Would I have to somehow disconnect the momentary switch for any reason?
    4. Or, do I need to just make sure any PSU I get doesn't have a rocker switch on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    The rocker switch on the PSU serves a different purpose to the normal power on switch.  The rocker switch is used to disconnect mains power to the machine (similar to actually unplugging it or turning it off at the outlet/power strip), the momentary button on the case is used to actually turn the machine on/off.  If the PSU has a rocker switch, all you need to do is leave the rocker switch on and then turn the PC on/off as normal.

kehughes

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      The rocker switch on the PSU serves a different purpose to the normal power on switch.  The rocker switch is used to disconnect mains power to the machine (similar to actually unplugging it or turning it off at the outlet/power strip), the momentary button on the case is used to actually turn the machine on/off.  If the PSU has a rocker switch, all you need to do is leave the rocker switch on and then turn the PC on/off as normal.

This is great news! Thanks for your help! ;D