Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nexus 6 battery replacement  (Read 2011 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Nexus 6 battery replacement
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
I have had a Nexus 6 Smartphone since 2014 and over the last few months it has started to shut down seemingly at random. This, understandably, made it a bit unreliable to use, so I pretty much just stopped using it.

Since I seldom really "use" it I couldn't justify a replacement or a new phone. I did some research and supposedly the issue is caused by the battery- given it's age, this didn't seem wholly unreasonable.

I bought a replacement for about 12 dollars off eBay and when it arrived was somehow able to take apart my Nexus 6, replace the battery, and put it back together again.

Aside from completely resolving the issue with random shutdowns, the battery life seems to have been greatly extended, which is probably just me not noticing how much it had degraded.

I thought I'd share this for anybody else who might be considering a phone replacement to address their old phone "acting weird"- replacing the battery may be a simpler solution.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Re: Nexus 6 battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »
I have a Moto G3 with a non-removable battery. I always thought I could never replace it, but you inspired me to do a web search. I found a page of instructions which contains the immortal words "Pry the battery out of the casing using a spudger."

There is an awful lot of messing about with heat guns and something called a Jimmy. I do not fancy doing this. If the battery goes I'll just get a Moto G7.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »
I was a bit terse with " somehow able to take apart my Nexus 6, replace the battery, and put it back together again." I suppose. 22 star-head screws to remove, things held together with adhesive that had to be ripped or pried apart, connectors that have to mate up when the phone goes back together... One of which I didn't realize wasn't mating up until I had it all together again and found the battery wouldn't charge, so I had to take it apart again, which was enough that the adhesive holding the back cover on was no longer strong enough so I had to also put some double-sided tape on it to keep it in place.

Since I half expected I'd destroy the phone in the attempt, that I was able to do it in about an hour (even considering my mess up) for about 12 bucks seemed reasonable to me.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:46:05 PM »
Kewl...so it works now ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »
Yes, it no longer has random shutdowns and the battery life is much longer (probably what it was when new). Also can't tell outwardly that it was taken apart.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
nice job and great factoid...Kudo's
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 02:52:43 AM »
I have to say, full respect to you, BC_P. You've got me thinking... if/when my G3's battery does give signs of expiry, I might just see what I can do...