Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my pc needs some help  (Read 2526 times)

theaceofsparrowz

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    my pc needs some help
    « on: February 12, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
    i dont know if it belongs here but my pc is having quite a few problems but its worked so well that i cant just get a new pc , just to clarify im using a alienware laptop and its had a problem with starting up first it blue screens and goes to the bios menu , and this is where the problems start.

1 the computer froze while reseting which ment i had to shut it down before the reset had finished

2 the computer wont reset again saying it ran into problems

3 neither i or the computer can access safe mode (ive tried using command prompt and the usual start up way to get into safe mode)

4 re-image your computer doesnt work because it cant use safe mode

5 when i tried to use a usb stick with windows installed on it and ran my pc through the usb it said that it cant install because windows is already installed

6 ive tried using previous states but that didnt work

thats all the problems ive run into so far if you know have to fix this i would be very thank full as this pc means alot to me and as of now ive assembled a little pc that is struggling to run this one google tab i will be waiting to respond if any further questions need anwsers.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: my pc needs some help
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »
    As per .....
    5 when i tried to use a usb stick with windows installed on it and ran my pc through the usb it said that it cant install because windows is already installed

If you create a bootable USB stick or CD or DVD with Disk Wipe you can flush the hard drive of the Windows installation and all data and have a clean drive to install Windows 10 fresh to. http://www.diskwipe.org/

If your system just has a corrupt install then this should be the fix. If its a hardware issue or driver issue causing the BSOD then the problem will remain.

I have also used bootable Live Linux installers vs diskwipe to achieve the same thing. Basically you need to backup your data to cloud storage or external drive and then wipe the hard drive clean in prep for a clean install of Windows. Then Windows 10 should install with no problems.

theaceofsparrowz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »
      can i wipe it from the bios menu and if so how?

also i cant backup any of my data as ive said i cant get passed the bios menu not even in safe mode

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
      I'd suggest removing the hard drive. Replacing it with another. Then install Windows clean to this other hard drive in the computer. Then connect to the original hard drive using a drive dock or buy an external enclosure then to house your original hard drive to not lose your data.

Staples for example has a 120GB SSD for $29.99 which might be a good choice for a cheap fast drive for it if 120GB is large enough storage capacity. Otherwise if you need a larger drive then it would cost more unless you already have a space 2.5" SATA drive available to swap into it from another laptop that is no longer needed that can be used for parts. My local Staples had this drive available with an eye catching red text price on the sign. I didnt buy any of these because I bought Intel 256GB SSD's on black friday, but its affordable and good reviews. https://www.staples.com/hp-solid-state-harddrive-p600-portable-120gb-usb-c-gen2-10mb-s-3d-nand/product_24314166?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:24314166&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=24314166&KPID=24314166&gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT50kM8kK3axdghh7PMhJp-kuSe5nmOX20IslOFEDfb7Nimc912YxI1BoCA2AQAvD_BwE

theaceofsparrowz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »
        well as it is an alienware laptop im pretty sure every thing is soldered on and if it is possible are you sure this hard drive switch will fix it as i dont really have alot of money to waste on parts rn  this may be a dumb question but will a hp harddrive work with my alienware as ive never tried switching hard drives or even opened the laptop before
        « Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:24:48 PM by theaceofsparrowz »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »
        The HDD is NOT soldered in...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

theaceofsparrowz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
          ill give it a go but i dont get payed till easter and im pretty much broke with £5 so till then ill try and make do with this makeshift pc tho dont really know how long it will last but thank you for your help so far

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:53 AM »
          If you know of someone with a laptop less than 10 years old that no longer need their laptop, you might be able to score a healthy 2.5" hard drive for free and fix it sooner. The hard drive needs to be SATA which laptops 10 years old or younger should have in them as long as they are not a chromebook or EEE PC with onboard storage lacking a removable hard drive or SSD. If your able to score a laptop for free that is older or broken, look up its model for specs and as long as it has a 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD then this could be swapped into your alienware laptop.