Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 10 install (Bios) migrate to UEFI SSD  (Read 19755 times)

Mac20nine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
10 install (Bios) migrate to UEFI SSD
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
If I do a clean install Windows 10 Pro on a Phenom system w/Bios-MBR and want to transfer the OS to a UEFI system w/SSD in 6 months, I'll have to re-install to change to UEFI, correct?

I'll be using the HDD for OS alone. But I think I'll have to re-install anew on the SSD in order to change to: a modern UEFI system, with an SSD. Also, I believe since I'll prob have to re-install for UEFI I'll also need to reinstall all my programs.

Would that sound correct?

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Mac

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 10 install (Bios) migrate to UEFI SSD
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:43:29 PM »
You can copy the HD to the SSD with any number of drive migration tools. And then " quote : Starting with the Creators Update, the MBR2GPT tool enables you to change the partition style in minutes, and more importantly, in a non-destructive process. The conversion is done by adding the GPT components to an MBR disk without modifying the existing partition and file system, which allows your data to remain unchanged."

From here https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Mac20nine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: 10 install (Bios) migrate to UEFI SSD
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »
Thank you Lisa_maree.  Must be I need to update my email setting.