Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: access denied  (Read 3091 times)

the_lemonaide_kid

access denied
« on: December 25, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
i'm trying to move files from my c to my d drive but keep getting an access denied message!
i'm logged in as an admin.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 07:24:44 PM by the_lemonaide_kid »

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Re: access denied
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:08:51 AM »
    some files, like files from windows are "in use", you can't copy these files (example: explorer.exe) because they are in use, and you can't make that it can be copied. But you can copy some of them if you close the progress...
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:05:25 PM »
    If the file is in use, you might try to copy the files by using MS-DOS

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »
    What are you trying to accomplish, and what files are these? Blackberry is on to the right answer to your difficuly.

The other poster is not correct. If this is Windows XP and you have the NTFS file system MS-DOS cannot read this.

Perhaps he meant using command promptm which is not the same and still runs under Windows and would have the same limitations.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 07:26:58 PM »
    OK, well obviously I didn't describe what I meant in the first place.

Original Text: " If the file is in use, you might try to copy the files by using MS-DOS  "

What I did mean is that if you exit Windows, then go into the command prompt (MS-DOS), you would have most likely exited the program that is using the file. This would allow you to copy the file, because it wouldn't be in use at the time. Windows XP isn't that great for the command prompt.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »
    OK, well obviously I didn't describe what I meant in the first place.

Original Text: " If the file is in use, you might try to copy the files by using MS-DOS  "

What I did mean is that if you exit Windows, then go into the command prompt (MS-DOS), you would have most likely exited the program that is using the file. This would allow you to copy the file, because it wouldn't be in use at the time. Windows XP isn't that great for the command prompt.

Unless he is trying to copy Windows files, which is likely what he is doing. Also, he didn't specify what version of Windows he was using, so if XP there is no way to exit Windows as there is no underlying DOS base.

uli_glueck

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 01:06:53 PM »
    Boot your machine with a Dos Bootdisk and start NTFS Dos. Then you can read NTFS Partitions.
    (The full version of NTFS Dos can write on it also but it is commercial, not freeware.)

uli