Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will New Video Card Match Motherboard?  (Read 4284 times)

redman

Will New Video Card Match Motherboard?
« on: August 07, 2004, 08:23:07 AM »
Hello Everyone, My gateway computer has an AMD Athlon 1001mhz w/ Performance Enhancing Cache Memory. I am not sure which Motherboard this prosessor is attached to. I would like to know if I might encounter any issues with upgrading the video card to a Nvidia GeForce FX model. This is a large step up from what is installed at present. At what point does a new CPU or Motherboard come into play as I upgrade my components. Thank You Very Much! :)

2k dummy

Re: Will New Video Card Match Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 09:37:50 AM »
Gateway machines are proprietary and you will likely have more headache than the machine is worth. In all probability it is grossly under powered. You will likely not even get a different manufacturers mother board to fit in the Gateway case. You will be money ahead to have a local builder to build one that meets your requirements.

johnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 09:57:03 AM »
You can probably use the card, depending on the capabilities of the AGP slot on the existing machine.  You need to check the exact specifications against the new video you indend to install.

Addy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:34:57 AM »
*shy* What is a gateway computer?  ???

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:15:54 PM »
*shy* What is a gateway computer?  ???

It is a  proprietary, "stamped out", assembly line, over hyped, glorified calculator-word processor that as the appearance and some of the characteristics of a computer. ;D

jonah

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 01:45:03 PM »
I believe that 2k Dummy is referring to a company that makes PC's. the other definition of a gateway is a computer that interfaces between networks. The company Gateway, Los Angeles, CA, US, makes various preconfigured computers (rubber stamped) (so does HP, Compaq, .etc.). He is saying the the best bet is to make your own or have it built.  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 01:54:43 PM by jonah »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 02:03:45 PM »
You should refer to the manual or Gateway technical support to determine what hardware is compatible.