Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dos directory changing help needed.  (Read 2229 times)

pentalith

Dos directory changing help needed.
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »
I am trying to make a batch file that will search children of a folder(a few thousand) for a given file type to output in such a format in a txt file that all that is output is the filename and extension.
I am using DOS 6.22  to use MLS 110 420 (bat ext file)
The things ive tried so far have been:

MLS.BAT[in root dir C:\BACKUPS>]

@ECHO OFF
IF "%1" = "" GOTO NOEXT
IF "%2" = "" GOTO NOFILE
DIR /S *.%1 > C:\BACKUPS\%2%1.txt
GOTO END
REM You know the rest   ie.  :NOEXT , etc
REM I have tried adding in the filenames only switch /B but it does not work here
REM This result is not what I'm looking for, I need the filenames/ext only

MLS.BAT[in each child, eg: C:\BACKUPS\011-20-8320\DBSDIO>]

@ECHO OFF
DIR /B *.%1 > %2%1.txt
REM You know the rest
REM This switch gives the desired output text file but there is a problem, there are
REM more than 3 thousand files in hundreds of childs and I cannot afford the time to
REM through every one and then I would have to find a way to compile all of the text
REM files into one.(which I havent discovered yet HELP ME IF YOU KNOW)

I have also used TREE /F but this will definitely not work(works fine for building my MP3 list for printing from all my band folders though).

When it comes down to it, I need to know if there is either one of two things:
1. Is it possible to move laterally through every child and grandchild one by one as if you are in it, and operate a command, then move to the next one, where if you are at the last grandchild, you move up and to the next child and through its grandchilds, etc.
2. Is there a set of commands that can be used at > or in a bat that can do the search and produce the result I am looking for?

The reason is I have some ancient DOS based software that will look at this text file for other purposes but paths and other garbage will cause the software to crash.

Thanks.