Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will More Memory Speed Desktop Up  (Read 10949 times)

westwood

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Will More Memory Speed Desktop Up
    « on: March 21, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
    I know that I can install up to 16GB memory and I only have 8. Will adding memory increase my speed. If I remember correctly sometimes the system cannot utilize all the memory installed or I think that is right. I have been out to pasture a few years and can't remember the things I used to know. I am going to try to add an attachment of the specs. If I need to add more info I can. Thanks a million.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Will More Memory Speed Desktop Up
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
    Hi

Adding an SSD, if you don't already have one will make a big difference to how fast the computer preforms.

Depending on your computer will determine the best drive to install in most cases one of these will work.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/860evo/
    Or
    https://www.wd.com/en-ie/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-ssd.html

A 250 gb SSD would be about the same price as 8 GB of memory at the moment.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

westwood

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
      I thought of that but wasn't sure, thanks a lot for the info, guess you are right when looking at the cost factor. I know I have a small c drive but most of my goodies are on external drives and the 250GB would be fine with me.

Thanks a million

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:10:44 AM »
      Add both...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
      Are you experiencing some specific issues? If so, please tell us what they are. While more ram can never hurt, unless you are running some program(s) that heavily tax the system the likelihood of you noticing a significant difference by going from 8 to 16 Gb ram is small.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
      I can install up to 16GB memory and I only have 8. Will adding memory increase my speed.

What speed issues do you have at the moment? What, if anything, is running slowly? Your system spec is OK, 8GB is not a tiny amount of RAM.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
      Just wanted to mention that if your CPU runs too hot, there would be a performance loss through Thermal Throttling. If your system starts off fast and then starts to get slower then I would look into what the CPU temp is measuring to rule out a thermal problem. This problem is more common with older processors, however its possible if the CPU heatsink is clogged with lint/dust bunnies or a heat pipe fails on a better than cast aluminum heatsink. A CPU that runs too hot will underclock itself to run cooler and this causes the system to lag and become noticeably slower. Some systems even shutdown if they reach a specific temperature as a means to protect from CPU or APU meltdown, however the thermal throttling usually keeps a system away from the shutdown temperature. A tool like speedfan can be used to look at system temperatures.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
      Just remembered a failing or nearly full hard drive can make the system run slowly.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 02:23:28 PM »
      Prolly also a good time to do some file management  housekeeping and run all his protection scans...just sayin...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "