Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limewire unable to 'initialize' and start  (Read 3403 times)

jamesbrilliant14

Limewire unable to 'initialize' and start
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
I have the most recent version of Limewire - 4.10.3. When I try to start it i get an error message: (this occured out of the blue - i changed no settings whatsoever on my computer and did nothing in my knowledge to cause this)

'LimeWire was unable to initialize and start. This is usually due to a firewall program blocking LimeWire's access to the internet or loopback connections on the local machine. Please allow LimeWire access to the internet and restart LimeWire'

Obviosally, I go to my firewall settings and make an exception for Limewire/Gnutella/P2P etc etc. but it still wont load. I then turn my firewall off completely, thinking this must surely allow it to run. But no, Limewire still fails to load up and the message appears. I turn off my firewall and the real-time protection on microsoft anti-spyware beta. Nothing has changed, and I am Limewireless.

Any help would be very appreciated, as I urgently need this application!

James

GX1_Man

Re: Limewire unable to 'initialize' and start
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »
I don't do P2P and can't solve your problem, but here is some interesting reading for Limewire users:

http://searchviews.com/archives/2005/07/is_limewire_rip.php
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:20:48 PM by GX1_Man »

jamesbrilliant14

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
ok bugger. anyone else come up with any ideas? anything with a remote chance of getting the application to load up?!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »
    jamesbrilliant14.... Not a huge fan of p2p software , but I have used Limewire to get the odd thing .......  You might try reinstalling your previous version that was working.  It may also be a good idea to make sure that you remove all bits and pieces of the new version that wouldn't work before you try and reinstall the previous version.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jamesbrilliant14

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
    hmm bad news im afraid - i had the previous version running when the problem first arose. I then checked on the official site for updates which is when I installed this latest version, so I dont belive that this problem can be put down to an error with the latest release as Limewire was already out of action with the older version. Thanks for your help though.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »
      jamesbrilliant14....  I just checked to see which version of Limewire I have installed ....and it's V4.9.3 and is fully functional ...( I just tested it ) By any chance did you click on the link that is displayed saying there is a newer version available .........
      Do you still have the old d/l file ( the installer ) saved on your pc somewhere?

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.