Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer specs regarding borders?  (Read 2206 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Printer specs regarding borders?
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
I print certificates (example attached) monthly for an organization that I am secretary of. I currently use a business printer at another members business office to print these because my HP Deskjet 2540 printer does not have border adjustments which will center the certificate as shown in the example. So I want to buy a printer that does have the ability to do this but I can't spend several hundred dollars for a business printer like the one at my friends office. So I've been looking at specs for various affordable printers but I can't find the information that tells whether or not border controls are included. How can I tell if this HP Officejet 3830 (for instance) will print with the image centered like the example?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/product-info

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c04655393

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Printer specs regarding borders?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Saw that this hasn't gotten any attention since 4/2. Was wondering if the software your using allows you to offset your image to tweak it to line it up or not by trial and error?

I bought paper stock before that is like the achievement blank you have and had to line up the information centered to the dimensions of the paper stock. I was able to print to regular office paper which is cheap and lay that overtop of the achievement stock and hold it up to a light source you  can see where the text will all line up in relation to the achievement stock. This way your not burning money with the expensive paper stock with trying to get the alignment right and instead just burning pennies on it per print until you get your alignment correct vs dimes or quarters per test page for alignment.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
The template was free from Microsoft Powerpoint webpage (I have an Office 365 liscense but any of this can be done for free at Powerpoint Online provided you have a free Microsoft account login username & password), I use cardstock paper available fairly cheap from Walmart although I do use plain white printing paper for setting up the page and running test prints.

This is mainly a problem printing these Powerpoint (.pptx) presentations (certificates)
No the 'HP Deskjet 2540 software' does not allow to adjust margins and header/footer or borders.
 If I print an image from 'Windows Photos', the options only allow 'Margin - Normal or Uniform'.
 If I print a text file (.txt) it will give variable setting options for margins but nothing more, which I believe would work if I could open a .pptx file with this page setup options.
 If I print from a Firefox webpage via ticking -  'file>page setup', It does give some options for 'Margins and Header/Footer.
 And when printing from a Powerpoint presentation (.pptx) such as these certificates, it gives only the options that the HP Deskjet 2540 software allows which includes no control over Header/Footer or Borders at all.

see attached images:

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:33:27 PM »
Printer advanced settings,
Print photos

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
Print from Paint file Page Setup,

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
Print from Powerpoint .pptx = same as advanced settings

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
 I found a workaround. First I save the file as .jpg rather than .pptx. Then since the margins are adjustable when printing from file in Paint I set right, left, top and bottom margins to 0.56 which is the lowest value it will accept for all 4. The result has a bit more border than I would like but it's very acceptable.
 This takes a bit more work but I only do these once per month and usually no more then 4 or 5, so the little extra time spent is well worth not buying another printer.
 Happy now, and thank you once again for your help DaveLembke!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:09:16 PM by lectrocrew »

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes