Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP "access denied" to files  (Read 3151 times)

hobie480

WinXP "access denied" to files
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »
I have two different computers at home, both with WinXP installs.  One has the Professional version, one has the Home version.  I have added drives, upgraded parts, etc. on both of these computers on a regular basis.  

This problem has occurred at least twice (I think three different times now), when I install a new hard drive (need more storage!) into the computer and do a WinXP complete new install.  I then install the old drive into the computer and attempt to copy files from the Documents and Settings|UserName folder from the "old" drive to the "new" drive.  Normally, I have two users setup, myself (Andy) and my wife (Julie).  I am always able to get full access to the Shared Documents folders and Julie's Documents, but I ALWAYS get an Access Denied error when I attempt to access Andy's Documents.  We are both setup with administrator privledges.  I believe that when I do a "clean install" of windows, it's always when I'm logged in as Andy, and I suspect that has something to do with the problem I experience each time.

My most recent "brush with death" was when one computer failed to POST.  I took the hard drive out and installed it into the other computer, so we could get access to some important data.  Again, I could get at Shared Documents and Julie's Documents, but not Andy's.  It doesn't seem to matter if I attempt this while logged in as Andy, Julie, or the Administrator (access denied each time).

Any ideas or suggestions (besides backing up all data before another hard drive swap) would be appreciated.
/me

pcdoc4christ

Re: WinXP "access denied" to files
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:55:52 AM »
Hobie:

This is a security feature of Windows XP to keep others from accessing your files when they log on to your computer, but which also keeps you from accessing the files from a different operating system (even if you use the same user name in that other operating system).  You may only view the files if you are logged on to the original operating system with the original user name.

In Windows XP Home you opted for the setting to keep your user files private.  In Windows XP Professional, you have chosen to encrypt the files.  You may remove encryption by booting to Windows on the old hard drive (jumper it as the master), right-clicking on the Documents And Settings folder, and choosing Properties from the context menu.  In the Properties dialog box, click the Advanced button, then uncheck Encrypt Contents To Secure Data, and then click Yes when asked if you want to apply the change to all subfolders.  You will then have to log on with the other user name and do the same.  

In Windows XP Home, there may be a way to log on as a user and disable the option to make files private.  

Let us know how it goes,
Doc

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 06:00:44 AM by pcdoc4christ »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:27:03 AM »
We have had a lot of posts from people who have security proofed themseloves from their own files. BIOS passwords, Logon passwords, encrytption, third party programs for safety - be sure you understand them and are willing to take the risks if it get's FUBAR'ed or you "forget" your passwords.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:11 AM »
GX:

Agreed.  Sounds like a good one to add to the Q&A thread.