Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Window recover issues  (Read 2156 times)

godspeedless

Window recover issues
« on: January 14, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »
Hi, first time here so be easy on me.  I have a computer from cyberpower which is 2 years oldish.  80 gig hd, 256 pc2700 pc333 DDR, P4 3.0 ghz 478, p4p800 mobo, 350 watt power supply.  OK, on to the question,  I just ran the recovery disk formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows, now the problem is, when I reinstalled and restarted it acted like it was a dual boot and one option is my new install and the other option is my old install windows with nothing but icons and empty folders..... So how do I get rid of the original boot partition? and second question, I have a really old 20 gig hard drive I was trying to put on, couldnt find info on the jumper placement, where would I find that?

GX1_Man

Re: Window recover issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 07:53:25 AM »
You can edit the boot.ini file, but the reason this happened is that you did nnot forma the partition before you installed for whatever reason, so you have two installations, possibly  even on the same drive?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

What computer make/model? Do you have a "recovery CD" or a Windows CD?

You can go to the drive manufacturer's website for information on the jumpers. What make/model is it? Don't forget that BOTH drives have to be jumpered correctly, thenn check when the machine boots that both are seen in the BIOS/setup screens.

godspeedless

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:06:20 AM »
see the thing is, I did, I formated, and all the second boot is, is a bunch of empty files, like nothing is in any of the files no music, programs, just files and all my icons on the desktop.  I have a recovery CD, make is Cyberpower, and the person who bought it set it up as a custom deal type thing

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »
see the thing is, I did, I formated, and all the second boot is, is a bunch of empty files, like nothing is in any of the files no music, programs, just files and all my icons on the desktop.  I have a recovery CD, make is Cyberpower, and the person who bought it set it up as a custom deal type thing

No telling what all is involve then, as a system restore (generally speaking for the major manufacturers) formats the drive and then reinstalls everything to th like the day you received it.

WIth this "custom deal type thing", who knows what it is supposed to do? This may be it.   :o