Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with PCI card  (Read 6993 times)

nat1

Problem with PCI card
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:40:11 PM »
I gave my son my old Compaq Presario with Window 98.  He was deleting files to clean off some of my programs and he ended up deleting something that he shouldn't have.  I told him no problem, I would just do the quick restore and put the computer back to it's original configuration.  That all worked fine and got rid of all of the extra files, but now I am having problems getting to the modem.  It seems to be saying that I have a PCI card on COM1 with no drivers.  I tried to install the modem drivers, but it doesn't work it defines a seperate modem on COM5 for some reason.  I am a bit embarressed about this because I used to be a PC Tech, but that was back in 1990 before I started driving tractor trailer and I am afraid I don't remember enough to (or actually not really remember I know pretty much with DOS, but not Windows) figure out what the conflict is.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Problem with PCI card
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »
    nat1....... Have you tried ........Go into the device manager and delete any modems which may be listed ....... then reboot your pc ........ If your system is plug and play ...... windows should detect the the modem and display a message saying that new hardware has been found ...... then it should display new hardware is ready to use ( or hardware successfully installed ) or it will ask you to install the modem drivers either from a cd ( which you might have ) or from a floppy disk if you have one.......
    Hopefully that should do it ........

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

nat1

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
    Yes, that is what I have been doing and it is recognizing it as a PCI Card and it says it is working normal!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:22:50 PM »
       nat1....  How many modems are listed in the device manager ?

nat1

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
      I am going to run up and try it again.  I did this on Wednesday when I got home and didn't have much time to work on it.  I will go delete the modems and reseat the modem card and restart the system and see exactly what I am getting and I will post it in about 20 minutes.  Thanks for you help thus far.!

nat1

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 02:58:20 PM »
      What it is doing is it is finding new hardware on startup ... PCI Ethernet Controller and a PCI Card which I am assuming is the modem.  It can't find the drivers for them. In device manager they show up as PCI Controller and PCI card with the big yellow question marks on them.  I just can't seem to get the modem working.  I guess I will have to take it to a shop.  I just hate to do that with an old computer like that.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »
        And can you now install the drivers?

nat1

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
        No, it's not finding the drivers and I don't know why it is not recognizing the modem.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 03:28:21 PM »
           nat1.... I cant remember win98 days ...... But in your device manager does your ethernet card show up in the modem section or in the network adapter section ......   Are you using a dialup modem or a H/S dsl or cable connection ?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:28:51 PM by dl65 »

nat1

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »
          The ethernet controller and pci are showing up under "other devices" when I look in the device manager with a big yellow question mark over them.  I pulled the ethernet card and tried to start it with just the modem and it will detect the new PCI card so if I don't install that and then try to install the modem through the add a modem option it will ask if I want to search or add manually.... I try the search and it doesn't find the modem.  Then I try to add it manually and it seems to work, but I can't get to the modem at all.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 03:55:06 PM »
            nat1... How does that pc connect to the internet .........using the dialup modem or the pci ( ethernet pci adapter ) ......What is the make and model of the pci ethernet adapter card ?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:56:06 PM by dl65 »

nat1

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
            I just use an internal 56K modem card in a PCI slot. I don't even know what the make and model of the ethernet card is, I don't use it.  It came installed in the system when I bought it.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »
               nat1.... ok ...then just disable the ethernet controller and forget about it for now ......
              What is the make and model of the 56k modem and we'll try and find the correct driver for it .

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 04:21:43 PM »
              You need to identify the hardware involved so you have the correct drivers.

Get this program now and save it as it is disappearing quickly! This is a German suite, but the program is in English.

http://www.soft-ware.net/system/steuerung/benchmark/p04240.asp
              « Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 04:22:54 PM by GX1_Man »

nat1

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 04:58:44 PM »
              I am pretty sure it is an Actiontek 56k Fax/Data/Call Waiting internal modem and I have the CD for it, it just isn't recognizing the modem as a modem.  When I start the system it says new hardware found...PCI card and when I install it it cannot find the drivers then it installs it as an unknown device.  That is what it is doing also when the ethernet card is in ..  it is installing it as an unknown device.  If I double click on the modems and try to add the modem it searches for it but can't find it, so I try to install it manually and it looks like it works, but it cannot get to the modem like it doesn't exist.  I also notices in my device manager that I only have COM1 and LPT1 in the Ports section and that doesn't look right to me.