Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where's the CD ROM??  (Read 3270 times)

clogla

Where's the CD ROM??
« on: August 08, 2004, 08:01:40 AM »
Recently moved my computer, now the cd drive doesn't work. Opened up, checked the connections and dusted. Still no drive recognized. Checked device mgr ("drive is working properly"). When I try and run a cd (music, and otherwise) get the msg "E:\ is not accessible." Called Radio Shack, "J" sez I need new cd rom. Recommended a certain brand.....how do I know what kind I need? How much to spend? (w/ Windows 98, 5 yr.old computer) He recommended I/O Magic 52x24x52 Internal @ $59.99. Should I just hire someone to come over and check out my computer? I'd like to try and do it myself if I could. Sorry for the lengthy msg, but wanted to get as much info as I could out there so I don't get scolded...ha. Thanx in advance. ???

Raptor

Re: Where's the CD ROM??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 09:49:17 AM »
You should check to see if any cables have to be reinserted that could have been disconnected whilst moving.

merlin_2

Re: Where's the CD ROM??
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 01:40:58 PM »
try another ide cable first before buying a new drive also  a disk cleaner may also help...