Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Inaccessible Boot Device  (Read 6245 times)

LubeMan420

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Inaccessible Boot Device
    « on: June 17, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »
    I am kinda banging my head against a wall right now.

After putting a new CPU, RAM, GPU and Mobo into my pc, it wasn't running particularly great. I was told the first thing to do when you put so much new hardware in a PC is to reset it. Unfortunately, once reset it would come up with the BSOD Inaccessible Boot Device and then revert changes.

In response to this I:
    - Flashed my BIOS (three separate times and checked its the most recent update)
    - Updated all my drivers
    - Made sure all my BIOS settings were correct (including boot priority and drive type)
    - ran a number of tests on Cmd

No joy at all.

I then was told that if I uninstalled all my drivers and rebooted my PC they would automatically install. I uninstalled not all my drivers, but majority of my significant drivers and rebooted my PC. Now unfortunately I am stuck in a constant loop of BSOD (inaccessible boot drive). I then fully reset my PC from troubleshoot but the same issue occurs.

Any help I would be extremely grateful and I would like to make clear, you may call me a blithering idiot all you want. I think I deserve it.  ;)

Thanks,
    Jack.

LubeMan420

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Inaccessible Boot Device
      « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »
      One additional comment. I thought if the hardrive was screwed, I could put in an old hardrive from a laptop i used to have. It started booting windows 7 up, I saw a BSOD for a split second and then took me to HP support centre. Baring in mind it is not in my laptop anymore, all options were greyed out.

**** I have no need for any files on the drive however would like to avoid rebuying windows 10.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Inaccessible Boot Device
      « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »
      Hi

Unless you have a retail copy of Windows 10 supplied on a windows silver pen drive you will need to purchase another copy. Up grades and oem copies of Windows 10 are only able to be used once. Like everything in life there are exceptions, if you have a Microsoft account before you upgrade copy the licence to your Microsoft account and then after the reload  restore the licence it may work. I think with the stage you are at it is a bit late.

Taking a drive from an HP laptop and putting it in your desktop and expecting it to boot without a BSOD is very optimistic. It is also in breach of Microsoft and HP's licence.

So getting onto why the computer isn't booting with the windows reload from the troubleshoot menu. Depending on if you did a reload keeping data or a complete fresh install deleting data depends on what it could be. If it is the latter then it is likely a hardware fault or you haven't set the date and time in the bios. If it is the first option then it could be antivirus software. I suggest un installing 3rd party anti virus software before doing windows reloads and then re installing when the computer is booting ok . Also it pays to have the computer connected to the internet when doing the reload so Microsoft can stream any updates needed for the re install.   
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan