Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Change Startup list  (Read 5782 times)

gilberto

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Change Startup list
    « on: July 06, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
    Hello everyone,
     I'm having trouble changing the order of my boot list in the UEFI BIOS. I work with Windows Home 10. My computer has an MSI H110M ECO mobo.
    I have downloaded an ISO file of Windows Home 10 on a USB stick and want to let the computer boot from the USB stick. In The boot list I see a UFEI USB and a USB stand. Which should I indicate? When I select the UEFI usb and hit Enter then comes a grey small screen where the UEFI is selected in red. Option 3 is indicated by the UEFI USB
    Hello everyone,
     I'm having trouble changing the order of my boot list in the UEFI BIOS. I work with Windows Home 10. My computer has an MSI H110M ECO mobo.
    I have downloaded an ISO file of Windows Home 10 on a USB stick and want to let the computer boot from the USB stick. In The boot list I see a UFEI USB and a USB stand. Which should I indicate? When I select the UEFI usb and hit Enter then comes a grey small screen where the UEFI is selected in red. Option 3 is indicated with the UEFI USB; Of course I want the UEFI USB option 1 to be able to do that. How can I place the UEFI USB stick on option 1?
    Grtz
    Gilberto    :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Change Startup list
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
    Hi
    If you press F11 at the MSI screen does the Pen drive show as a device you can boot from?. If not, then try the pen drive in a usb 2 port, Black color on your M/B.
    If still not detected and you are using a Sandisk pen drive you may need to check the bios version is 7994v5B  Release Date 2018-07-03.
    Or make a new image on a  different brand of pen drive. Adata uv110 16Gb will show as a usb harddrive in the boot menu.The Adata will boot on on any hardware right back to the earliest motherboards and bios's. Or an Apacer usb 3.0 16GB will boot as a Uefi Apacer pendrive.

Perhaps I'm lucky as I have purchased lots of Retail copies of Windows 10 so have spare Microsoft Pen drives  which seem to boot every time on most hardware hardware.

It is better to leave the boot order with the hard drive as the first boot device. And use the F11 menu for temporary changes like booting from USB.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

gilberto

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
      Hello, good afternoon,
      Thank you very much for your quick reply.
      I pressed F11 and my SanDisk partion 1 was indicated in the boot list. After that, the Windows home 10 installation went very well. But can you also set the SanDisk USB stick in the UEFI-legacy boot list? 
      Grtz
      Gilberto          :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
      Hi

Option 5 on the boot menu is "uefi usb pen drive". As it is a removable device and may not always be attached the sandisk isn't able to be added as such to the boot order. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
      Now you have Windows 10 loaded it may be a good idea to remake the sandisk from within windows as a recovery pen drive. Windows will create the pen drive as compatible with UEFI boot.
      Also it will be up to date with with the latest build number. After each major build update it is worth re doing this recovery pen drive.
      Here is the explanation from Microsoft.     

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

gilberto

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »
        Thank you very much.
        I already created a recovery disc for Windows 10 after I installed Windows Home 10.
        Currently, two Windows home 10 start up in My computer. Each Windows Home 10 is on a separate hard drive. But I want to remove the second Windows Home 10 on the SSD 250 GB. If I format this Windows Home 10 (Drive D:) on the SSD 250 GB, and I disconnect it from the PC, will my first hard drive (drive C:) still boot up where the boot manager stands up?
        Grtz
        Gilberto      ;)