Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RDP Display resolution on remote machine  (Read 5407 times)

JigneshTapase

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    RDP Display resolution on remote machine
    « on: July 09, 2019, 01:12:07 AM »
    I am running an up-to-date Windows 10 install on a high res dual 3820x 2160 monitor setup.
    When I log into [RDP] my clients Windows Server 2012v2 machine the icons on the desktop are HUGE. The program menus look sort of OK (I can work with them) but icons internal to the programs are tiny tiny. It won't let me change the resolution from a remote session.
    Is this a problem with my setup? If so please give any guidance. I've tried to muck around with the RDP settings and can't seem to get to anything that works.
    Or is this more likely problem with the specific program I am using not being able to use higher resolutions? If so I'll need to contact their support. [It's an industry specific program].
    I know I can just reduce the resolution on my laptop and external monitor to match the remote machine but that seems like a really clunky way to handle this. I use programs at my office that can take full advantage of this resolution.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: RDP Display resolution on remote machine
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »
    What about increasing the resolution on the server itself to match your computer or come even closer to your computers resolution to lessen the ratio offset between them?

I've never had this problem as for I have only used RDP in sessions of 1024x768 with other systems that were 1024x768 or slightly larger resolution.

Here is info on maximum resolution supported by RDP: https://www.urtech.ca/2014/11/solved-what-is-the-maximum-resolution-of-an-rdp-session-with-multiple-screens/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: RDP Display resolution on remote machine
    « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »
    The application in question probably lacks any High DPI support, so it does not perform any scaling. I'm not even sure if the local DPI settings affect the remote system- everything I've seen in RDP sessions suggests the resolution is increased but the remote system's DPI setting doesn't change.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.