Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compatible graphics cards ?  (Read 2628 times)

EvilJ

Compatible graphics cards ?
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »
Hi everyone, new here and specifically signed up in the hopes that you knowledgable people will be able to offer some assistance !

I'm currently running my pc with:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz
ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard with inbuilt ATI Radeon 9100 IGP graphics card (128Mb)
1472 Mb DDR SDRAM

I'm wanting to upgrade my graphics card with a seperate card rather than rely on the inbuilt one which is, as I'm coming to realise, quite outdated now.

I'm looking at buying and adding a 256Mb card with 1.4 Pixel Shading support - I've recently purchased a game that I thought my current card would just scrape by with, but hasn't.

I've searched the ASUS site and support forums to try and find out which ATI or NVIDIA cards my motherboard is capable of handling, and I've also searched the sites for the ATI and NVIDIA cards to see if they provide the information on which motherboards are capable of handling their cards - no one seems to be able to tell me which cards I should go for !

I'm looking at getting either:
 NVIDIA GeforceFX 5700/5800/5900/5950 series
 NVIDIA Geforce 6200 Turbocache-16
 NVIDIA Geforce 6600, GT/6800/6800, GT/6800 Ultra, PCX5900
 ATI Radeon 8500/9500/9600/9700/9800/X300/X700/X800/X850

Only problem is, I have no idea (even after a few days researching) which is my best bet.

Any kind soul got any words of wisdom or advice ?

Cheers

Jason

EvilJ

Re: Compatible graphics cards ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
OK, I took a chance and purchased an ATI Radeon 9600 with 256MB on board. I meet all the minimum requirements and it's all recognised and setup apart from the memory on it.

Should be 256MB as above....

I've installed all the software and set it all up, but the software I'm wanting to run (Battlefield 2) dosn't run. Using the EA Easy info option the game installs, it's not acknowledging the 9600's RAM.... have I missed something or am I just being excessively stupid ?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 02:54:58 PM »
     EvilJ....... Have you disabled the on board vid card ?
    have you visited the ATI site and d/l the latest drivers ?

What do you have your vid resolution set to ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

EvilJ

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 03:16:52 PM »
    Hi !

I disabled the 9100 ATI on the motherboard prior to installing the new 9600. As for the ATI site, there's a ton of stuff on there I've found which I'll D/L now. Resolution is currently at 1280x1024.

Could there be any other problems ? In the "System" info it's showing as apparently having 256MB, but in the game info and other windows areas it's either zero or showing as n/a .... bit concerning !

royphil345

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 03:28:31 AM »
    Before installing the new card, did you uninstall the old video drivers that were installed from your disk for the mainboard?

Find your old video device in the device manager and uninstall it there?

Disable your on-board video in the BIOS?