Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing Display Properties Tabs  (Read 13892 times)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Missing Display Properties Tabs
    « Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 03:05:01 AM »
    Did you download your video drivers from the manufacturer's website?
    What is your video adaptor?

gorgon

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
    Did you download your video drivers from the manufacturer's website?
    What is your video adaptor?
    I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500, and once this business of missing tabs started, I downloaded the newest video drivers from their website (version 8.1.9.8.)

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 12:42:52 PM »

gorgon

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »
      I considered a drastic step like that, but it's too much of a hassle right now. Everything else on the machine is running fine, I have no viruses or anything else malicious and all my software is up to date. If not running a Windows Repair means living without tabs, then I'll manage  :P

I do appreciate all the attention and help however.

gorgon

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 12:47:03 PM »
      I wanted to post that I have discovered the solution to this problem.  ;D  Somehow, a single file was deleted from my Windows directory. I don't know how, since it was a hidden file, but nevertheless it must have been deleted.

The file is WindowsShell.Manifest, and it was located in the C:\Windows directory. I got a copy of this file from my friend's computer and put it back in my Windows directory and now I have all functioning tabs in the Display Properties dialog box. So in the future, if anyone ever has this problem, the first thing you should do is search your Windows directory for the file WindowsShell.Manifest to see if it is missing. And remember when you look for it...this is supposed to be a hidden file!

Thanks to everyone who offered their patience and assistance. It was greatly appreciated!

GX1_Man

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »
      Glad to hear you are up and running again.  ;)