Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost WIFI due to Error Code 12 after Windows upgrade from 7 to 10  (Read 13173 times)

stick-in-the-mud

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    I have no internet access after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. There are errors (Code 12) on the Atherex AR5005G Wireless Network adaptor and the Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. I tried uninstalling both to no avail. Errors too on two of the four Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. The BIOS on this system appears to be v2.30, a figure that I feel is greater than v2.3.5 specified as a minimum. The other minimum parameters required by Win 10 also seem to be exceeded. Question: (a) how do I deal with the apparent conflicts in the system (I cannot see which IRQ channels each component is trying to occupy - I have forgotten how to do this) (b) given that if all else fails I can revert successfully to Win 7 on this machine, is it a waste of time trying to get it to upgrade to Win 10? - if not, what do I do now, please?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lost WIFI due to Error Code 12 after Windows upgrade from 7 to 10
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:35:30 PM »
    This is from dictation.

Here is what I think is a quick way to solve your problem. I am going to assume that you're using the Wi-Fi router and there is nothing wrong with the router itself. Apparently you are somehow able to get to the Internet with either another of computer or another operating system. Your problem is that you cannot get an Internet connection using Windows 10. Is that so? I would assume that it is.
    What you could do is purchase one of those people Wi-Fi USB adapters that are sold on Amazon and other sites. Practically all of these adapters are compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 10. Install a suitable driver automatically.
    You might get a small CD with the unit, and if so, it will have a suitable driver for Windows 10. But the driver supplied by Windows 10 might be good enough to give you a usable Internet connection.
    Once you have a suitable Internet connection, you can search for a better driver for your Wi-Fi adapter. Or just continue to use the new Wi-Fi adapter and forget about the old one.
    What I'm trying to say is this; the new Wi-Fi adapters are so cheap and universal that is almost not worth your time to try to figure out when older unit is not working right. That is especially true with the drafters that have the brand Realtek. That particular brand is give me more trouble than I can mention. However, the newer versions of that same chipset company seem to work alright.
    Anyway, I think that's the easiest and quickest way to solve your problem.

End of dictation.

stick-in-the-mud

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Lost WIFI due to Error Code 12 after Windows upgrade from 7 to 10
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
      Thank you. I did consider a USB plug-in wireless adaptor but unfortunately the laptop has only one USB socket. I know I can get a splitter. But again, it's not just the Wireless adaptor that is throwing up the error. Yes I am using the same hub and another computer to talk to the forum. I feel that if i could address the conflicts I would be OK. But even uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers does no good. I'm inclined to give up on this one - but thanks again for your suggestion