Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i cant run, install win xp os to my new hdd...  (Read 2085 times)

sexxyjazzy

i cant run, install win xp os to my new hdd...
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:59:04 PM »
hi there...
can u help me figure out whats wrong with my installation...

i bought 1 maxtor 40gb hard disk. first, i tried to backup my old files from my old hdd. what i did is, is connect my new hdd to the primary slave ide, and power cable while my old one is connected to the primary master and power cable. but when i started the backup i cant detect my new hard disk, isn't it in the backup wizard there is portion there that will ask you where do i want to backup my files? but the browse window couldnt find my new hard disk installed, only the floppy drive.

then... i went to the control panel and click the system icon and selected the device manager, then i point to the hardware, and surprisingly my new maxtor hdd is detected there and said its working properly.

then... i decided to just install win xp OS to my new maxtor hdd. first i removed the old hdd and transfer my new hdd from the primary slave to the primary master and power cable then i reboot my computer and then press "del" to go to the bios/cmos, i have seen like this:

primary master   [none]
primary slave     [none]
secondary master [samsung cd-rom]
etc...

does it means my system cant detect my new hdd?

though im so confused i continued installing the OS...what i did is reboot the and insert the Win xp installer, i made a partition on the c: drive and started the NTFS installation. after, it says something like "the winxp installation is successful. your computer will reboot in 10 secs. if you want to reboot press enter... after your computer reboots it will continue to windows setup." but i didn't press enter i just wait... but then, when its done rebooting it started to the windows setup again..

i really dont know whats wrong, i hope you can help me about this matter... thank you!!

jazzy

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: i cant run, install win xp os to my new hdd...
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:27:16 PM »
    sexxyjazzy.... Wow ...After reading your post I'm confused ........
    I am assuming that you have removed or disconnected your existing HD .....
    I would try this .....
    Install the new maxtor , with its jumpers set to master .......
    Connect it to the primary IDE cable using the connector on the end .
    Plug in the 4 pin power connector ....
    then reboot the pc and go into the bios and set the boot to cd- rom as 1st .
    Now open the cd-rom and put in the original M/S XP disk in .....
    Reboot and if your xp cd is bootable it should format the drive for you and then load .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:28:00 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

sexxyjazzy

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »
    hi thanks for your quick reply...

ok...
    i didn't removed or disconnected my new hdd... but as u said i started the operation all over again. i connected my new hdd to the primary master ide cable (which goes to the last) then pin the 1st power connector. i turn on my computer and go on to the bios to change the first boot onto the cd-rom drive, then i restart my pc. then, the windows setup pop up.... i continued formatting, and making partition into the c: drive and then when the win xp setup was successfully installed it reboots and then it started to the windows setup again.

i tried to removed the win xp installer from the cd-rom but it says no operating system installed...

then, i restarted it again and go on to the bios and i wonder why ive seen like this:

primary master [none]
    primary slave [none]
    secondary master [samsung cd-rom]
    etc...

is there something wrong with my hard disk?

jazzy

sexxyjazzy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:26:02 AM »
    ok if i will add it as a slave, how can i browse it window xp?
    does window xp will display 2 hard drives in my computer?

jazzy

sexxyjazzy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 02:02:39 AM »
    ok...
    i will try it later when i got home...

thanks for your help...
    til next time..hehehe

jazzy