Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Service Pack 2 Broke My Laptop  (Read 6466 times)

Laura

Service Pack 2 Broke My Laptop
« on: August 08, 2004, 11:45:49 PM »
i have a brand new Dell Laptop i just got in June as a graduation gift.. and it's been working WONDERFULLY.. virus and spyware free (i always check for both). but then i updated my Windows XP Home and did the recomended 11 updates, then updated with Service Pack 2.. and restarted my computer to apply the changes.. and nothing works.

intially IE was just REALLY REALLY slow.. btu then it stopped working all together and now it cant find the pages. but i know i'm getting a fast, strong signal from the Wireless modem. and all the desktop computers (which happen to be macs) all work with the internet. so i know its not the internet, its a *censored* up with IE or some sort of internet preference. I've tried restoring them back to their origional settings, and my firewall is as low as it'll let me go.

are there other firewalls i dont know about? what happened? im about to breakdown if i cant fix this..

Joleen

Re: Service Pack 2 Broke My Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 06:02:08 AM »
Have you tried a system restore to restore to the point previous to installing SP2?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:30:04 AM »
I wasn't aware Service Pack 2 was out yet.

Can you not uninstall all the critical and non-critical Microsoft updates?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:10:44 PM »
I wasn't aware Service Pack 2 was out yet.

Released late Friday morning.
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/60.htm

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 12:13:29 PM »
Thank you, I did see an ad on Microsoft.com that said it would come out 'later this week'. I believe that was on Friday.

All the more reason to install a CPU, I have read quite some things about SP2 that seemed promising

Computer_Commando

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »
windows firewall on sp2 is enabled by default ...to check or change settings go to control panel/security center seleck firwall option under manage security settings heading.. check it out .....it all seems to be a firewall problem