Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC shuts down on its own  (Read 10348 times)

Pinefang

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC shuts down on its own
    « on: November 04, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »
    Hello all, First post here. Sorry it is a troubleshooting question. Recently last 6 months or so my PC has started shutting down by itself. I have done the Windows 10 reload without any joy. I have read that I should read the "log file" Can someone point me to which log file that I should be reading to help and try to figure this out. In windows I have found a DSIM and a CBS log file but I couldn't make heads or tails out of them. I have checked all my fans,  water pump, GPU and power supply. They are all operating normally in my eyes. None appear to be over heating 88F to 122F. Mostly it shuts down when no one is on the PC. But twice it has shut down while I am on it. Sometimes it shuts down within a day and some times it will go a couple of days. My system follows.

I7 8700, 32GB RAM, 1080TI GPU, 750 W PS, Overclock to 4.5GHZ using the Z390MB easy overclock utility.

Hope some one can help. Again which log should I be researching?

Steve

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      Re: PC shuts down on its own
      « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:04:34 AM »
      The event logs might show you an error message, or a status change from power management hardware/software that can point you in the right direction. It also might not, or might be hard to find.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/evenview.htm

One thing you could try is to determine the exact or approximate time the computer shuts down. Then narrow your search in the event viewer to the last few minutes before your computer shut down, see if there are any warnings or kernel messages indicating the reason shutdown was initiated.

If I were you I'd check my BIOS for power management features I might not be aware are enabled/disabled

hope this helps
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

jbuckets4

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
        I suggest turning off the over-clocking feature for now and let the CPU run at its rated speed. Likewise for any other such settings that are atypical/ not OEM-recommended including those of the GPU and the video graphics subsystem.

Try running MemTest for several hours to see if perhaps there's a RAM issue that forcing your shutdown.

Also, if you know exactly when your PC last shut down, you can launch Windows' Event Viewer and check its logs for that time-stamp.

Good luck and please post back when you find out the cause.  Thanks!  --JMP

Pinefang

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
          Thank you guys for your input. I went into my bios and reverted it all back to defaults. That was three days ago and there has been no shutdown issues since. I haven't notice any degradation in performance in frame rate or any other issues. All seems to be functioning properly. Thanks again for your help. Time will till if I've really fixed the issue.

Pinefang

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
            Wouldn't you know it. After running fine for three days and me posting that it seemed to be operating correctly my PC just suddenly shut down while I was on it. Back to the drawing board.

jbuckets4

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
              Try running MemTest86 via its website for several hours (or overnight) to see if perhaps there's a RAM issue that causing your shutdown.

Also, if you know exactly when your PC last shut down, you can launch Windows' Event Viewer and check its logs for that time-stamp.