Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NEW PC  (Read 3076 times)

marjanovic.01

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    NEW PC
    « on: November 18, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
    Hello, i have a question about these 2 PC builds, which one is better(I'm buying it mainly for programming, but i want to be able to play some newer games on it too)

Here are PC Specs:

PC 1:
    Processor: 2X Intel Xeon hexa-Core X5670 2.93 GHz
    Graphic Card: NVidia Quadro K4000 3GB DDR5/192 bit
    RAM: 64GB DDR3
    HDD: 2X 1 TB S-ata HDD WD Enterprise
    SSD: None
    Price: 499 Euros

PC 2:
    Processor: Intel Xeon E5 quad-core 1630  3.70GHz
    Graphic Card: Radeon R7 260x OC 2GB DDR5/128bit
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    HDD: None
    SSD: 500GB
    Price: 400 Euros

Both are workstations, so i want to have you opinion which one is better and why, as i said i'm buying it mainly for programming, but i want to play some newer games on it!  :) ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: NEW PC
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:22:36 PM »
    Since you didnt mention what MBoards i'll hold off on comments...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

marjanovic.01

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
      Hello, i have a question about these 2 PC builds, which one is better(I'm buying it mainly for programming, but i want to be able to play some newer games on it too)

Here are PC Specs:

PC 1:
      Motherboard: LGA 1366
      Processor: 2X Intel Xeon hexa-Core X5670 2.93 GHz
      Graphic Card: NVidia Quadro K4000 3GB DDR5/192 bit
      RAM: 64GB DDR3
      HDD: 2X 1 TB S-ata HDD WD Enterprise
      SSD: None
      Price: 499 Euros

PC 2:
      Motherboard: D3348-A2x (ATX)
      Processor: Intel Xeon E5 quad-core 1630  3.70GHz
      Graphic Card: Radeon R7 260x OC 2GB DDR5/128bit
      RAM: 16GB DDR4
      HDD: None
      SSD: 500GB
      Price: 400 Euros

Both are workstations, so i want to have you opinion which one is better and why, as i said i'm buying it mainly for programming, but i want to play some newer games on it!  :) ;D

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »
      Quadro Cards are more for CAD and Medical MRI type uses. The Radeon R7 260x OC is more along the lines of gaming. The Quadro cards can be used for gaming but they are power hungry and not really for gaming, and so not the kind of frame rates and shaders missing etc as examples of differences.

Both systems seem overkill for programming for probably 99.99% of the people who program out there. They are more tailored for use with crunching data and serving up sessions to multiple users etc.

If your programming is going to involve programs that tap into GPU processing power for mathematical computation etc vs CPU processing power then you will want to look over which GPU is better for the GPU computations that you plan on performing as they are drastically different in features and strengths.

The other thing to mention is are you going to be programming for multi-thread executable programs or are they going to be single-threaded. As for multiple thread programs the more cores the better, however if its single-threaded (single-core execution) of a program then your looking at the CPU Clock Speed, Cache, and Instruction Sets for which would be better.