Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading old laptop to SSD  (Read 2227 times)

zolale

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Upgrading old laptop to SSD
    « on: November 19, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
    I am looking to update an old laptop (Lenovo R61i) to an SSD perhaps soon. I have done a little research: I need to know if the BIOS will support an SSD. It seems like it will (I did a scan with Crucial).

So, this one would presumably work for instance?
    https://www.newegg.com/crucial-bx500-120gb/p/N82E16820156186

I will open it up to check, but I am also wondering about a 7mm drive fitting into a 9.5mm bay (likely, as this is an older laptop). Seagate seems to think it will be okay: "The original bracket for the OEM hard drive that you are replacing will almost always be able to fit the new BarraCuda SSD. The side mounting holes relative to the interface connector will be the same as the original HDD, thereby ensuring that the new BarraCuda SSD will fit." from https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/do-more/upgrade-laptop-with-ssd-master-dm/

Thanks kindly!

Here is the storage info from Speccy:

HITACHI HTS723232A7A364
       Manufacturer   Hitachi
       Product Family   Travelstar
       Series Prefix   Standard
       SATA type   SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

CPU:

Intel Pentium T2390
       Cores   2
       Threads   2
       Name   Intel Pentium T2390

Motherboard:

Manufacturer   LENOVO
    Model   7650ELU (None)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading old laptop to SSD
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
    I have yet to have a BIOS not detect a SATA SSD yet of computers going back to even SATA 1. The only issue I have ever had with SATA and laptops are that back in the day of Windows XP, the Windows XP OEM CD lacked the proper driver support for the newer SATA controller and so I had to use a driver for the SATA controller during the install process otherwise HDD NOT FOUND would happen. If your installing Windows 10, you should have no problems.