Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D Drive trouble  (Read 4244 times)

MrJoe

D Drive trouble
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
Hey,
I recently put a very old game ( Age of Empires if that helps xD ) into my computer and installed it. After that, it caused this whole fuss where the tray wouldn't open etc. I now open it with a pin. When I tried inserting a blank CD to burn some music onto, it told me the D Drive was in use by a program called 'Roxio DirectCD Kernel'. I have no idea what that is, and I can't find it anywhere on my computer. In 'My Computer', the D Drive still has the Age of Empires icon as well.
That's the information, I have NO idea what's happening. Anyone care to enlighten me?

GX1_Man

Re: D Drive trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:28:16 PM »
Roxio can either be from the EasyCD Creator program or from Windows Media Player 9 and above. Make sure you have all of the WIndows updates and check for malware first.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

Let's make sure we are dealing with a clean system.  ;)

MrJoe

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 05:30:59 PM »
Oh okay.. recently I downloaded a game, and when I unzipped it, it had the EasyCD Creator logo, and was called EasyCD Creator Image File. I was puzzled by this, and just left it there. Should I just deleat those files?

MrJoe

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
I just scanned all the files with AVG, nothing suspicious was found.

Plus the frozen Drive thing was happening before I downloaded those..

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:47:31 PM »
Before... You downloaded what? This happened as a result to installing the game, right?

Flame

MrJoe

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »
The Age of Empires game was just something I bought, and installed. Ever since the drive has been troubled. It now doesn't open/close by itself, and the AoE logo is always on the drive in 'My Computer'. I haven't done anything with it since, so I am assuming the application EasyCD Creator is telling me is using the drive is the game that is somehow stuck there. I put the original disc back in though, and uninstalled the game.. it works normally when that disc is there, but when I put in another it doesn't realize it's gone or something.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 07:26:27 PM »
Which operating system are you using? We might need to replace some drivers. Easy procedure.  ;)

Flame

MrJoe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »
Operating system.. I am anything but a computer person. Well to my parents I'm a computer genius, but to any one else.. xD. I am guessing the answer is Windows XP, or are you asking a different question?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:40:11 PM »
recently I downloaded a game, and when I unzipped it, it had the EasyCD Creator logo, and was called EasyCD Creator Image File.

Was this downloaded off some warez site? If so, then all bets are off as to what you got.

AVG alone does not guarantee you have a clean system. Read and do this and let's make sure before we proceed.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:24:45 PM »
Well, because I don't like to guess things, I would rather be sure... Do this... I have left two sets of instructions, incase you don't have the My Computer icon on your desktop.

If you have the My Computer icon on your desktop:

Right-click on my computer, and click on properties

If you DO NOT have the My Computer icon on your desktop:

Click on start -> Hi-light My Computer, and right click on it. Next, click on properties.

You should now see a small gray box... It will say your operating system. Please tell me what it says  ;)  I'm also interested in knowing if you have Service Pack 2 installed... Do you know if that is installed or not? (It should say if you do or not under your operating system on this gray box...)

Flame
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 03:25:19 PM by flame »