Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer is spastic  HP psc2175xiHELP  HE  (Read 3613 times)

Usborne_Books

Printer is spastic  HP psc2175xiHELP  HE
« on: January 21, 2006, 02:06:37 PM »
This has been an ongoing problem that sometimes I luck out and can correct somehow.  I have a Toshiba  Satelite computer and my HP psc2175xi printer has been hooked up to it for at least a year.  Often when I shut the printer down, when I turn it back on, it does it's initial few noises, then goes into a repetative clicking of something inside it.  I can print a document sometimes while it is clicking but whenever it finishes clicking, it gives an error message and won't do anything else like print from the computer.  It will often print from the button on the printer though.  It was scanning but now it says there is trouble communicating with the scanner.
What I've done already is disconnected the printer, turned the printer off, turned the computer off,then reinstalled the program for the printer, turned the computer back on, uninstalled the program, and then the printer.   I've done all these actions in various order as well, and I've changed usb ports around too.
The first problem I need to work on is what the clicking malfunction is (about 60-100seconds worth) when I initially doesn't work.   Any ideas out there?

Desperately,
Margie

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Printer is spastic  HP psc2175xiHELP  HE
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »
    To me it sounds like it's dying.
    Can you try installing it on a different computer as a test?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
    Yep, that's not a good sign. Is the ink cartridge firmly seated? Was it replaced just priot to this startting?

Usborne_Books

Re: Printer is spastic  HP psc2175xiHELP &nbs
    « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »
    I don't have any other computers to try it on.  Someone just before you said it could be dying???  It prints right when it prints.  Its just that it sort of like me, dislexic and loses or tangles its instructions.  I did manage to get it to scan by switching it to a different USB port but now it won't print on command.  It seems to be one or another but not both.  I do remember having this sort of problem before but don't remember how it got fixed.

Margie

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 05:24:03 PM »
      Is there paper in the printer while it's clicking?
      Perhaps there's a print job in the queue?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 06:50:05 PM »
      I couldn't quite tell from your original post, but to reinstall that model you should remove the software through Add/Remove in Control Panel, then reboot the machine. Unplug the printer while rebooting. Now reinstall the software, reboot and then plug the USB cable back in. If i is not done in his sequence problems can arise.

Those all in one models do have problems with needing this done occasionally, sad to say. How old is this printer? Has it had a hard life? Do you have USB 1.1 or 2.0 on your computer?

Usborne_Books

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:15:04 PM »
       :D :D ;DThanks for the advice.  I'm not sure what did it but it is working in all functions again.  Heaven forbid I have to turn it off again.  I did try all the things suggested.  Again thanks.

relieved,
      Margie (in Alaska)

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 06:27:47 AM »
      Glad you are up and running!  ;)

yard-bird

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 03:28:34 AM »
      i think the use of the term spastic in this context is both offensive and shows a lack of respect for your fellow human beings  >:(

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 05:26:32 AM »
      One of my twin boys has spastic cerebral palsy.  Spastic refers to spasming.

Personally I don't find the use of the word offensive.  If however someone were to call my son "a spastic", that would be different.  I would "have words" with them...
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:11:37 AM »
      ok... Anyway.... Come back and see us if you have any more questions.  ;)

Flame