Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password protect a folder in XP  (Read 5789 times)

tn-man

Password protect a folder in XP
« on: January 21, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »
I couldn't find this in the search.  I would like to password protect a folder on my home network.  The scenario I would like to create is where I create share subdirectories on computer A.  So when computer B browses to the share \\compA\All Users\compB on computer A,  computer B has to provide a password to access the files.   I know there are programs one can buy to do this, but they must be manipulating permissions already in WinXPpro.  Is there a good step by step guide to doing this?  I want the child subdirectories to have the same properties, but once you access the parent, you won't be asked for a password.  Thanks for listening.

GX1_Man

Re: Password protect a folder in XP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 08:46:55 PM »
google is your friend, and you can do it to!   ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308989&sd=tech

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:51:24 PM »
But that's not a password protection program... That just prevents someone from editing the files...

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »
Well just don't use Folderlock.

Back to google then. There's LOTS of hits for him to read through:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=encrypt+folder

tn-man

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
The encryption is interesting, however, I would like to do a simple password for a folder.  Maybe it is not so simple.  I understand you can set up a Linux box and learn Samba, but Shirley there is a way in XP.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »

tn-man

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »
Yes, the links in your link are mostly (maybe all) for the software you may purchase to password protect folders.  Sell me a fish and I will eat for today, teach me to fish.........

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 12:04:04 AM »
    If your file system is NTFS you can create a list of users who can access to your folders, files etc...Just right click on your folder and go to Security tab to set permissions...
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

tn-man

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 06:09:30 AM »
    All XP systems on my network are NTFS (I have two seldom used Win98 on there also).  OK, I found some Google links that get me started.  No specific "how to" answer to my query.  I tried what I understood would password the folder and made my test folder inaccessible.  I cannot access or delete the folder (mmm, almost sounds like I encrypted it).  It does not ask for a password, it is just locked out, and I am the administrator!  Now I need more and different help :-[!!!  I have looked for step by step type instruction on how to do this and maybe there is so much info that I don't see the needle in the haystack.

Let me be more specific of what I would like to do.  I want to use the Syncback program to back up data from Computer B to Computer A.  I don't want anyone to be able to modify or access the backup (except me, of course). Syncback has the ability to pass username/password.  Soooo, in this perfect scenario, all I need is a password protected folder.  

If I use the Windows encrypt, each time I do a backup, I must unencrypt, backup, then go back and encrypt the folders/files, unless there is a command line version that I could automate.  The folder password seems the simpler solution.
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:28:16 AM by tn-man »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:17:03 PM »
      Using NTFS file protection will not ask for a password. It will just disable access to those computer users , who are not allowed to access. Right click on folder and go to Security tab. Under Group or User names window clear all the names (by default there are Administrators, power users etc...) then click on Add and then Advanced.
       On the advanced window you can select Location where your privileged users are placed.When you click on the Find Now button it will show you all the groups  and users from your Local Computer, Domain, Workgroup etc..Pick up the user you want and click Ok , OK. Under Permissions for Administrators check Full Control box, and don't check any of the Deny boxes. Restriction comes before the Allowance!
      Now only allowed user(s) can have an access to that folder. To inherit permission from parent folder click on Advanced under Security tab and check box Inherit from the parent...

Hope Helps  ;)

tn-man

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
      OK, that makes a little more sense.  I have a workgroup at home.  If I have an administrator account on each system with the same login/password, I can set up the backup from computer B's admin.  I backup user B from computer B to computer A, and I already have an identical user/password for compA's admin.  Build a share called  \\compA\All Users\compB and right click the compB subdirectory.  Limit use to Admin.  Does XP know that compB's Admin is not the same as CompA's Admin when compB's admin is coming across the network?  Assuming that XP does not care, would this work?  Comments please if you see a problem and I will try this tomorrow after work.  By the way, cool site, hope I can contribute some time.
      « Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 07:02:58 PM by tn-man »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
        « Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:06:23 AM »
        Well, if you are on workgroup then sure you must have same login/password to communicate with others and it won't make any sense, identical users are same for any of the computers. That user will have access to the folder. For wokgroup there's another way. Change the username/password for the computer where your folder is stored and let others as they are.
        When any other user try to reach that folder s/he will be asked for login/password of the computer where folder is stored.
        Permission or restriction I mentioned above is usually good for domains. If you could convert it to domain then you would have great ease working with folders.
        Do it in the near future...;)

tn-man

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 04:20:30 PM »
        OK, now you have my attention.  Can a domain be an internal class C domain?  Can any XP box be the domain's "server"?  I am willing, but I am also in need of instructions for this if they are freely available somewhere.  If I create the domain, I understand that I would be able to create domain users and that sounds like the beginning of acitive directory.  While the work to set this up does not look simple, I am not a total novice.  Thanks again for the advice and help.  

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 11:52:03 PM »
          You must have sth like 192.168.0.x which is C class. And run Windows NT, 2000 Server, 2003 Server on one of your machines. It's not so complex as you think. All you have to da is get a book and follow step by step instruction.
          There's also enough source on the net about certain topics (active dir,domains, etc....). Take a time and have a look. Everything is horrible outside and you get in to see not so dangerous ;)