Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC very slow at times  (Read 7064 times)

WilbonFam

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC very slow at times
    « on: January 04, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »
    Hello CH! Been awhile!

Okay, so some background. I've had this PC for only a couple years, 3-4 maybe, pre-built from one of those companies that prebuilds for you (can't remember name, dad suggested it). For note, here are the specs:

MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition motherboard
    i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz 6 core
    16GB Ram
    GTX 970

From what I remember, it ran decent enough in the beginning but I vaguely recall some complaints. Still as time has gone it's gone down hill and it's incredibly sluggish compared to the beginning, and even worse during games and such. Over the past couple of months, I've been researching guide after guide of tweaks and addressing the poor performance and also a 100% disk usage problem that I had noticed. While I've had some improvement, overall it's still slow. It boots up slow, transfers data slow, updates slow. I can still play most games with good framerate, although some stutter quite a bit and loading into maps and matches takes me forever.

I've watched my cpu temps under load, and I've never seen them being way too hot.

As I mentioned previously, disk usage has been a problem of regularly hitting 100%. I have spent a lot of time researching that specific problem and have had minor improvement, but not enough and not without some sacrifices that shouldn't have to be.

Pressing start/windows key sometimes doesn't work properly or often takes very long. Right clicking for context menu is the same and file explorer goes non responsive as often as nuns pray. I even have had times where loading UAC takes very long. In times where I've had super low performance, I've opened resource monitor and just watched under the disk section and and I find often that when I have some disk writes (particularly Chrome to the cache and System Volume Information) is when performance is slow, and when those finish, things seem to noticeably better, but never as good as they were in the beginning.

I do make sure my PC is often updated (I'm on version 1903) and I've reset my PC a few times over the years now (for one reason or another) and it's never seemed to have helped. I have run chkdsk and DISM, I have checked S.M.A.R.T. status using command prompt, it said my drive was OK. I have used Windows Defender to do scans, have never found anything and that doesn't surprise me, I am quite careful. I have only ever updated my graphics drivers though and none else (besides when they do via Windows Update).

All this is what's made me wonder, could I just be in desperate need of an SSD at this point? I plan on buying one this weekend for the improvement regardless and because I need the space, but I wonder if this is what's bottlenecking my PC and why it would do this after 3 years? This PC currently runs off of a single 1TB mechanical HDD that I've had since day 1. If not, is there anything you could recommend? I have tried almost everything ever suggested and had no luck.

I've posted this thread to other locations but almost all the replies don't bother reading and just tell me to buy an SSD and my problems will go away. Others have said that buying an SSD will only degrade it faster and mask the issue, not fix it, but weren't willing to help further investigate and try to resolve.

So I come here to the place that helped me when I was a panicked kid with a dying PC and a million questions in hope we can finally find a resolve to this. Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if I need to run any diagnostics or provide any more info that I may have forgot. I really appreciate any help I can get and hope we can get my PC running great again.

gameperson

Rookie

Re: PC very slow at times
      « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:08:13 PM »
      Reading your post, here are some things to do.
      1) Do a defrag with your hard drive. Use diskspeedup. Turn off windows 10 built in defrag. With diskspeedup, at the main menu, go to tools, priority, high priority. Go to options. In the general options section, uncheck everything except for stop vss. Go to defrag, uncheck everything. Go to schedule, uncheck option to run. go to optimize, check everything. Run software, allow at least 2 to 3 hours to complete task. After everything is done, go to boot time defrag, checkmark option, and then under method, choose everyday boot. Before rebooting your computer, turn off any screensavers that you have or power down options under power settings. Reboot computer, and then turn off boot time defrag in diskspeedup.

2) You could upgrade to an ssd drive, but the cost is quite a bit as 1 tb size ssd drives are well over $100. I don't think that the price is worth it when you could get a mechanical drive for a fraction of the cost.

3) Download ccleaner and go to tools and then startup. Here you can choose what programs start up with windows 10. Only use ccleaner if the program in general doesn't have an option to start with windows 10 under options or preferences.

gameperson

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
        I forgot to add, when using diskspeedup, after applying options, use the analyse button to scan the drive and then use the black arrow next to the defrag button to defrag and optimize the drive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 09:21:58 PM »
        You said:
        I've posted this thread to other locations but almost all the replies don't bother reading and just tell me to buy an SSD and my problems will go away.

Right. A good SSD is rather privy and it requires some skill to integrate it into your Windows OS. You don't have to do that unless you like the idea.

A good idea is to buy a replacement HDD for what you have.  Install the O S again and install programs on the new drive and compare performance. It costs less than taking it to a shop.

I have noted that a fresh full install on a clean drive can help performance.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:02 AM »
        and also a 100% disk usage problem that I had noticed.

This PC currently runs off of a single 1TB mechanical HDD that I've had since day 1.

When this happens, what is the transfer rate measurement listed in Task manager's Performance tab for the drive? If it is low, despite showing 100%, that means that the I/O requests are spending a lot of time waiting for the drive to "reply" to the requests, which to me points at a drive possibly trying to find the key to the door on it's way out. The S.M.A.R.T output from wmic only tells you whether the drive is "within tolerances" via the status but not what those values actually are. A program like CrystalDiskInfo will give more information to that accord. In particular the "reallocated sector count" is a good barometer of drive health overall, in the sense that if there are any then the drive is probably on it's way out.

Of course, it could be that the drive is not failing. In that case the problem could simply be that Windows 10 has been, more and more, optimized specifically for systems with SSDs, and that has finally caught up with your system.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.