Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is your favorite mobile application for listening to radio?  (Read 53952 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Hello,
Yse ago I used to like to listen to tAM radio. And that one time I was even a staff announcer on a local AM  radio station radio station. But let's not talk about that now. I'm sure it would bore you.

While I'm working in front of my computer I like to listen to an AM radio station on a small portable radio I have on my desk. But the cheap little thing doesn't work too good when it's near my computer. It just takes up a lot of noise and trash from the computer unless I listen only to the strongest local station. I would like to listen some other radio stations in other cities. Years ago you would do that on AM radio.

But nowadays it seems like you can't do that unless you have a very good radio or your inside your car and listen on the car radio. For some reason car radios work better than desktop radios. Now let me get to the point.

I started listening to AM radio over the Internet.
For some reason it's hard to make Google understand I want to hear a live radio broadcast with the voice of the person, not a summary of the stories they have carried us news items. In other words, I like to hear somebody's voice. It seems like there are some applications for android and Apple that let you pick for ANY  radio station. But so far I haven't done very good at that.

Some thing like maybe:
TuneIn...
NPR One. ...
iHeartRadio. ...
SiriusXM.

So, here is my question. What is your favorite and greater Apple app that can be used if the Radio stations somewhere in your state or from anywhere that you like to listen to?
So far I have not been too happy with what I've tried. It seems like one of you try anything it always tries to distract you with something other than what you really want. I understand the need to have advertising to pay for the thing, but this should be some point where I can bypass I get around the advertising and just hear what I want to hear without the necessity of flicking and closing a bunch of pop-ups that come up on my device.

Any ideas?
What is your favorite mobile application for listening to radio?   ;D

Salmon Trout

Re: What is your favorite mobile application for listening to radio?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 02:18:17 AM »
My Android phone, Motorola Moto G3, has an FM radio chip, which uses the headphone wire as an antenna. I don't know how I'd use it on speaker, but I have an ordinary AM/FM radio at home, and in the UK most of the (remaining) AM stations are duplicated on FM anyhow.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
I don't listen to AM radio at all but when I sit at my computer, I listen to music from SiriusXM via Alexa (Echo Dot).  I also listen to regular radio stations from radio.com via Alexa.  Radio.com will let you listen via your browser as well, it has a bunch of News/Talk stations available.  Radio.com also has apps for Android and iOS.

El_Baz

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
    A few weeks ago I discovered WebSDR, A WebSDR is a Software-Defined Radio receiver connected to the internet, allowing many listeners to listen and tune it simultaneously. SDR technology makes it possible that all listeners tune independently, and thus listen to different signals; this is in contrast to the many classical receivers that are already available via the internet.

More importantly, there is no interferenc from your computer

In the Netherlands

Code: [Select]
    http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
    Washington DC

http://na5b.com:8901
    Pennsylvania - Northeastern USA

http://k3fef.com:8901
    They don't have LW in the USA as we do in Europe. Yet on the na5b SDR I've heard Radio Algeria which broadcasts on 252 kHz Longwave, all be it very weakly. On the Twente SDR in the Netherlands I've heard WBBR 1130 am which is located in New York City.

Because of the time difference you won't be able to hear Algeria until the eastern seaboard is in darkness, which at the moment is around late evening UK time. The best time to listen for it is from around 01:00.  The same goes for WBBR.

The frequency range is from 1kHZ to 28985 kHz.

Twente SDR

El Baz is shuttlepod 05 of the USS Enterprise NCC1701-D

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
    Here are even more Internet SDR Servers
    https://skywavelinux.com/best-sdrservers.html

Many in North America,  but they are all over the globe.  :o

Thanks to all. Now I have more choices.  ;D

clean_as_a_squid

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
    Here are even more Internet SDR Servers
    https://skywavelinux.com/best-sdrservers.html

Many in North America,  but they are all over the globe.  :o

Thanks to all. Now I have more choices.  ;D

You may find there is no audio on some of these WebSDRs. To enable audio copy the SDR website URL. Then go to Settings in your browser. Click on Advanced and then Privacy and Security.  Scroll down the list and look for Sound. Click on it and then where it says Allow click on Add and then paste the SDR website URL. Once done go back to your browser and refresh the page. You should now hear the audio.