Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firewall and MSN Messenger - probs a silly ques  (Read 5143 times)

Hes23

Firewall and MSN Messenger - probs a silly ques
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
hi, sorry if this is a really foolish question
ive just got a laptop, with WIndows XP, and it came with all the Norton ANtivirus 2005 protection
I have been trying to access my MSN Messenger (7.5), but it says that it has been blocked due to firewall and proxy settings from a 3rd party security software, which I presume is the Norton firewall.
So how do I configure Firewall to prevent it from blocking MSN Messenger, and in doing this will I increase the risk my laptop is at???
Thank you xx :-[

GX1_Man

Re: Firewall and MSN Messenger - probs a silly que
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »
A lot of crapware and viruses travel via instant message. That call is yours, if you want it. You can adjust Norton to let it work, though.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
    Hes23...  open Norton 2005.......... click on options........then in the internet section on the left ...click on Instant Messenger ...... then make sure that MSN /windows messenger is checked ...
    Are you at risk with this ....no not really ..........Unless someone you know or has you on their list sends something infected to you ...but Norton should get it .
    Do you have any firewall running which may be blocking MSN messenger ......go to control panel and check the security centre.
    hope this helps you

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:54:04 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Hes23

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »
    hi yeah thank you so much for the help. I went to make sure that MSN MEssenger was checked and it was. ::)