Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC shuts down after closing games, not during gameplay  (Read 4957 times)

yukioelios

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC shuts down after closing games, not during gameplay
    « on: January 13, 2020, 06:19:08 AM »
    Hi all

Recently I got a PC for xmas (ryzen 3400g, mobo Asus a320, 2x8gb ram 2666, 500w 80p gamemax psu) and it ran smoothly for 2 weeks. But since last Tuesday, it has been either shuttling down or it stops working and the led fans start blinking, which I assume means the PSU is trying to work.

However, the puzzling part is that there is no overheat of the CPU, fans are fine and the shutdown occurs AFTER I close the games and leave the system idle. It usually takes less than one minute and up to five. I saw this happen with gta V, lol, dota underlords, cs go. What the *censored* could be going on?

I took the PC to the shop that built it and they ran several stress tests and found nothing. So I took the pc home, played 30 min of gta SA and Cs go and when I closed Go, after a few seconds, the system was down and the fans LEDs flickering. In this state I have to unplug the pc and plug it back ot turn it on. The power button doesn't respond.

The power outlet has the CPU, monitor and a router. I replaced the power cable with the same results.

Thanks for your attention.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC shuts down after closing games, not during gameplay
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:49:57 AM »
    Sounds most likely it's the PSU...to test borrow a known good one and swap it in there overnite...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

yukioelios

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
      Hi patio, thanks for the prompt reply

At the moment I don't have another PSU of this spec to switch with so i can't test it right away. The shop will replace the PSU if they can diagnose that it is the culprit.

Question, do you know how or why a PSU would fail in this scenario? If I start the PC and leave it on, it doesn't fail. If I play for several hours straight, it also doesn't fail

Thanks

Base10

Beginner
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »

Hey,

Check the mobo Asus a320 help on your motherboard.  I was looking online and it has a new feature called EPU (Energy Processing Unit).  Try looking at the steps below in the link.  It's kind of like Windows sleep function.  It may be going in to whats called "Away Mode".  It starts shutting things down in the pc and may be the cause.  So you might be able to switch this off.  Hope this helps!

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036401/

yukioelios

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:03:53 AM »
          Check the mobo Asus a320 help on your motherboard.  I was looking online and it has a new feature called EPU (Energy Processing Unit).  Try looking at the steps below in the link.  It's kind of like Windows sleep function.  It may be going in to whats called "Away Mode".  It starts shutting things down in the pc and may be the cause.  So you might be able to switch this off.  Hope this helps!

Man, you just saved my sanity. I got home and installed the mobo tools, disabled everything in EPU and voilá, no more shutdowns after using the pc. Thank you so much.

Base10

Beginner
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 09:02:28 PM »

Excellent!!  More than happy to help.  Glad you're up and running again and at full Steam ;)  Enjoy your new machine !!