Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delete Windows 8 and install Windows 10  (Read 8750 times)

Treedin

Delete Windows 8 and install Windows 10
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
 Please let me know if these questions need to be posted elsewhere.
 I have an older laptop with Windows 8, and my intentions are to update to Windows 10. Im not savvy with computers and/or the terminology used, so please bare with me. Due to my lack of knowledge Im somewhat skeptical and paranoid about computers.
 I use my laptop, with the internet, for very basic functions compared to most Im sure. Some of the following I use are;  Wordpad, emails, information searches, just a few forums such as this one, news updates (including some video clips), also sometimes I will plug my phone up to put pictures on my computer for various reasons, and thats about it. I dont do any constant videos, games, music, etc...
I want to first create an original backup of my Windows 8, and everything with it using a usb flash drive, then I want to completely wipe out everything and install a version of Windows 10 as basic as possible.
1) Does it sound like Im on the right path so far...suggestions ?
2) Does someone offer a completely safe, and very basic version of Windows 10 ?
3) Is it more safe to purchase/order a physical backup of windows, rather than download from the internet ?
4) If possible, I dont want to download any versions with several advertisements, or other applications that I will never use, hence question 2.
These are all of the questions that I can think of for now, but Im sure there will be more.
Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Delete Windows 8 and install Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 05:13:55 PM »
A full backup of Win8 to a flash drive or an external is a good idea...i've seen many people wipe their drives saying "oh there's nothin i need"...then regretting it later.
I would suggest Macrium Reflect or Easus to go for the backup...both have Free versions.

After that just use the Media Creator Tool to get the latest ver. of Win 10...it's still Free also so anyone who says you have to pay don't listen to.

After the backup has been done there is no reason to wipe the drive...just run the Win 10 setup...

Best of luck and let us know how you get on...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
Just wanted to say that If you have a perfectly valid windows 8 key, you should be ale to clean install windows 10 for free with it.

Your valid key would be converted into a digital key for windows 10 that is associated with your pc allowing you to reinstall windows 10 as many times as you like with said key.

See here: https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
It's best to leave the 8 install in place...then the info is automatically entered...Just sayin.

Treedin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help.
So hopefully soon Im going to try and perform a usb backup on my older Windows 8 laptop with all my saved favorites.
I dont know if this might help but I have a new laptop with Windows 10, and Im going to be starting another thread about that one, but was wondering if I would somehow be better off to copy the new computer Windows 10 to the old one, or if thats possible ???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:20:02 PM »
No...get a fresh DLoad from where i said above...