Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another question about Macrium Reflect  (Read 3897 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Another question about Macrium Reflect
    « on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
    I was going to try it out and my preference for storage was a USB drive. It said a CD, DVD or a 3.0 USB drive could be used. My question is, can a 2.0 USB be substituted for the 3.0?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Another question about Macrium Reflect
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 08:40:26 PM »
    Yes it can but at around 20 MBs, backing up more than say 20 gb of data would take a long time on USB 2.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:12:42 PM »
      Thanks Lisa, I appreciate your reply.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
      While your probably all set, just wanted to state that I use Macrium Reflect and connect 2 drives to the SATA ports and clone that way for fastest clone from 1 drive to other.  If your running a laptop it cant be achieved like this unless you have an eSATA port or a laptop with 2 hard drive bays and USB 3.0 then would be best option.

For all my desktop builds after they are built up completely, I add a 2nd drive into them and clone the original drive to the 2nd drive of equal or larger capacity, and then I shut down the computer and disconnect the original drive and it remains in there as a master working drive so that at some point in the future if I wanted a clean build again I could connect it and push a clean cloned images back to the 2nd drive and then shut it down and disconnect the 1st drive again. After a period of a year, I would even reconnect the master original drive by itself and perform all microsoft updates etc, so that each time in future that the drive is used to clone to another it doesn't have to get like 97 security updates because, its brought forward to stronger and stronger security with each time I bring up the original drive by itself and only thing i do is all updates and then shut down and unplug the original drive and connect the 2nd drive only to SATA Power and SATA Communication.

* I would backup my personal data to cloud storage or external media before overwriting the 2nd drive too as a precaution for anyone who decides to go this route like me as it will wipe the 2nd drive clean and replace its contents with the original drive each time a drive to drive clone is performed. So if you want your data, you will want to back it up to external media or cloud storage first.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »
        Wow, Dave, that's some heavy duty lifting. Me and the wife backup anything worth saving via flash drives. I was taking the advice of Allen by trying to use Macrium Reflect but I'm in the coast down mode in my life and just trying to hang on to life's shirttail. I just didn't want to buy extra flash drives if it wasn't necessary. Thanks for the in depth reply anyway.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
        "coast down mode"...i kinda like that concept.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "