Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to extract all components of Notepad from Windir to run it outside?  (Read 5995 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Hi!

Yesterday I found new problem in Windows 10.1909.64
    After updates I wanted to copy Notepad application outside Windows directory to use it for example on USB.
    I was surprised that's not working like in earlier Windows versions.
    Notepad.exe exist with default icon in Windows directory, with application icon in System32 directory.
    I was surprised - so compared all properties and all matches incl. size. Of course it was manual check without any software and hash/crc comparing.
    I wanted simply copy EXE to use like I used Windows 7 calculator or Vista Paint or even XP Notepad or Paint.

So, how to do it? If you know and can help please show me example also for some similar tools.

Thank you for each help, suggestion, reply o comments.
    Miro

Salmon Trout

Re: How to extract all components of Notepad from Windir to run it outside?
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 06:23:31 AM »
    I bet it is against the Windows EULA to extract components like Notepad and use them independently or supply them to others.

In any case, Notepad.exe is really just a stub that functions by using lots of parts of the Windows API; it is really just an edit control with features. Why not just put a portable text editor on the USB drive?
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:44:40 AM by Salmon Trout »

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: How to extract all components of Notepad from Windir to run it outside?
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »
      My purpose is not to use Notepad outside Windows.
      I want only to use in different Windows versions newest Notepad if is it possible.

Miro