Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: remote desktop  (Read 5366 times)

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    remote desktop
    « on: January 23, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection but am unable to do so. What am I doing wrong? The host will be a windows 2000 machine and the client will be an xp laptop. I cannot get the xp remote desktop to connect to the windows 2k machine with pcanywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
    WRWSS

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      Re: remote desktop
      « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
      What am I doing wrong?
      What are you doing?
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »
        i have the host windows 2k machine running pcanywhere and when I use my client machine running xp it cannot connect to the pcanywhere machine. Is this even possible? Do I need pcanywhere on both machines? Or can I have pcanywhere on the host and just use the xp remote desktop connection program on the client machine?
        WRWSS

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:55:37 PM »
           wrwss...... I'm not 100% certain , but I believe you need pc anywhere installed on both machines .....
          If your having trouble ...you might try using MSN messenger ....... open it on both machines ....... make sure that you can see each other online and then click on the ACTION button in msn messenger and then choose REQUEST REMOTE ASSISTANCE ...... It works very well ......

Hope this helps

dl65  ::)
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • PITTSBURGH,PA.
            « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 05:16:57 AM »
            I need to be able to work a server from a different location, like I was sitting at the server. I figured out that I need a newer version of pcanywhere but I still have a question. Will both pc's need to have pcanywhere on them? Or can the server have it installed and can I just use xp to connect to it?
            WRWSS

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 05:35:54 AM »
            If nothing else works, try using RealVNC.  Run it as a server on the PC you're connecting to.  Run the client program on the PC you're connecting from.  Get it >here<.
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos