Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying flashdrives  (Read 18456 times)

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Familiar
    Copying flashdrives
    « on: February 21, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
    My older computer has Windows 10 1809 version and while copying and pasting one flash drive to another, I find the error "this app won't open' or something similar.  When trying to open pictures which is all that's stored on the drive. I took the flash drives to my newer computer which has Windows 10 1903 and everything opens just fine on both. I've tried running troubleshooting methods to no avail. What to do?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Copying flashdrives
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:20:38 PM »
    Quick answer. Use another flash drive.
    Alternative. Try DVD instead.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:03:54 PM »
      I could do that but am curious why one computer will copy and open flash drives and the other will only copy them.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:44 PM »
      I could do that but am curious why one computer will copy and open flash drives and the other will only copy them.
      It happens. It is one of those  things that us layman and never told about.  :'(
      Do you want a technical answer?  Better not ask.  :P

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:52:06 PM »
        Any kind of answer might help.
        PS: I did a system restore and now they can be opened?
        « Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:05:58 PM by jbubb »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 07:17:18 PM »
        Here is an attempt to answer your question about why flash drives sometimes fail. Basically, the problem has more to do with a flash drive and less with the computer. Nevertheless, in some cases it seems like some computers are more sensitive than others.
        Look at this:
        https://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/reasons-why-usb-thumb-drives-are-the-wrong-choice/

I do not have available all the technical facts about how flash drives work, but there are three general areas of concern.
        The first is the issue of economy. At one time flash drives were very expensive, but in time the price has come down quite a bit.
        Reliability has also been an issue with flights drives. The better quality drives made by the major manufacturers are quite reliable. Still, there are unbranded flash drives that come from unknown places.
        One of the most important features of a drive is it speed. There is both a read speed and a right speed with the right speed usually being slower. In some cases a flash drive for fail because the computer is unable to format the flash drive. I have noticed that some flash drives are very slow to format and this might be do to some kind of weakness they have in the right mechanism.
        In general, you have to pay more attention to the brand name and the price of the drive. Very low prices almost always indicate that there is been some compromise in either the reliability or the speed.
        If you have a flash drive that appears to be unreliable, the best choice is to just stop using it and buy a replacement. In a few cases there might be something wrong with the computer, but that is much less likely if the proper drivers have been installed in the system.
        I hope this gives you a general answer to your question.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
        The Error was because the App (presumably Photos) associated with the file you tried to open was messed up and unable to open on one of the systems.

It had nothing to do with the contents of the flash drive.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jbubb

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »
          Thanks for the responses, I always use Sandisk, not that they're the best necessarily but still a good brand name. I agree about the photo app but why it didn't work until I restored the computer to an earlier date puzzles me. It seems like when I get a windows update lately, things get screwed up. I guess I'll have to scrutinize the updates on what they are before installing them.