Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help clone a Dell computer's damaged EFI HDD  (Read 24359 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Please help clone a Dell computer's damaged EFI HDD
    « on: March 19, 2020, 01:11:17 AM »
    Dell Inspiron one 2330
    If matters here's the config below (also see attached 1.jpg):
    CPU: Core i7-3770S 3.1GHz
    RAM: 2 stick 8GB
    HDD: ST2000DM001-1CH164 2TB

OS is very slow and unstable, may restart itself periodically, cannot access any Windows settings menu, audio, wifi ... are gone, luckily still running, ailing though. Disk repair or DELL recovery tools couldn't do anything. Doesn't digest Windows updates, rolls back half way. The reason must be bad HDD with some bad sectors (see attached (2.jpg)).
    3 visible and 6 total partitions (3.jpg).
    Want to clone to save Dell factory EFI partitions, so that if needed to be able to reset the system and the rest of everything UEFI offers.
    Clone keeps failing on partition 4, namely OS partition (10.jpg, 11.jpg).
    Print screens are with Macrium reflect, tried other software too, but in my experience Macrium's been the most
    reliable and stable.
    Is there a way of cloning those 5 healthy partitions and do some work around for the 4th system partition?
    « Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:25:02 AM by gev »

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Please help clone a Dell computer's damaged EFI HDD
      « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:20:00 AM »
      More images.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 01:21:32 AM »
        And one more

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
        I would contact Dell and inquire about Recovery Media....
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
        Macrium reflect the way you are using it is coping at a file level not a sector level. Sector level  is the better way to get a copy of your drive. Macrium reflect has a sector level option which you could use or perhaps use.

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

The drive you are coping to if you use this software needs to be larger or the same geometry as the source drive.
        Your 2TB Seagate drive is failing so getting a copy of as much as possible off the drive before it completely fails is a priority.
        If you then wanted to put the data onto a smaller drive you could do this from the copy not the failing drive.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 05:55:16 PM »
        The problem is he is copying a faulty drive...if i was him i would do 1 partition at a time instead of the whole shebang.
        Some of those partitions would fit on a flash drive...

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »
          I would contact Dell and inquire about Recovery Media....

Recovery Media, any idea if that's usually just a Windows disk or all 6 partitions I want?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »
          No...recovery data would take the PC back to Day 1 status...has nothing to do with your other partitions.
          Using recovery wipes all data on the C: drive and produces a clean install

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
            No...recovery data would take the PC back to Day 1 status...has nothing to do with your other partitions.
            Using recovery wipes all data on the C: drive and produces a clean install
            5 of those 6 partitions must be DAY 1 status, the 6th, that's 7.59GB I'm almost sure appeared after migration to Windows 10, but I talked to Dell support, they told they will/can recover just the OS and for ~$100, which I don't want to.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
            Shame...sad to hear that.
            Dell used to ship CD;s USB stiks for specific PC's for minimal charge + shipping...

Do me a favor and post afull screenshot of Disk Management again so i can sort out these partitions...

From what i see so far it's 2 physical HDDs...1 2TB HDD and 1 750G HDD...is this accurate ?

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 06:40:21 PM »
              Shame...sad to hear that.
              Dell used to ship CD;s USB stiks for specific PC's for minimal charge + shipping...

Do me a favor and post afull screenshot of Disk Management again so i can sort out these partitions...

From what i see so far it's 2 physical HDDs...1 2TB HDD and 1 750G HDD...is this accurate ?
              Just look at the upper line, the lower is where I tried to clone.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
              • My first real computer
                • Yes
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
              Hi again,

This option in reflex may help   Set Macrium Reflect to ignore bad sectors when creating an image please see the picture below.

If you google your Seagate drive model and firmware you will find lots of posts of problems. Similar to  what you are having.

All you need to do a recovery of windows is a copy of the first 3 partitions and the last partition. If you select the c drive and look over to the left you will see details, note the start and end sectors of the partition. If the report of un readable sectors is in this range and preferably at the top end, you are likely to have got a good copy.
              Something to note: These 2tb Seagate drives with that firmware version when they show these symptoms have a very short life like days not weeks. So you need to get the stuff off it Now.
              Are you happy with the used Apple drive? I would check it first as it is used and quite old.
              You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
              ― John Bunyan

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 02:42:58 AM »
                Hi again,

This option in reflex may help   Set Macrium Reflect to ignore bad sectors when creating an image please see the picture below.

If you google your Seagate drive model and firmware you will find lots of posts of problems. Similar to  what you are having.

All you need to do a recovery of windows is a copy of the first 3 partitions and the last partition. If you select the c drive and look over to the left you will see details, note the start and end sectors of the partition. If the report of un readable sectors is in this range and preferably at the top end, you are likely to have got a good copy.
                Something to note: These 2tb Seagate drives with that firmware version when they show these symptoms have a very short life like days not weeks. So you need to get the stuff off it Now.
                Are you happy with the used Apple drive? I would check it first as it is used and quite old.

Thanks Lisa,
                Sorry for late response.
                Let me brief you a bit where I am now.
                Honestly I didn't quite understand your "...start and end sectors..." part.
                Here's though what I did per your advise. Cloned those 4 partitions first, then enabling the option you showed created an image of that faulty partition. Then copied the image file to another computer and restored it on the HDD. Achievement is, now I have physically healthy HDD with the clone of my original Dell HDD.
                But here come problems. Now this time although HWiNFO shows healthy HDD, chkdsk still shows "452 kb in bad sectors" in the results, hence I can still not reset to factory condition. I guess this is happening because of that sector by sector image. I tried chkdsk /f with no result. Any ideas please?
                And yes, I got rig of that apple drive, used another 2GB HDD instead, 2.5" though. But no worries, I'm gona keep the clone on it temporarily. Once I make sure I have succeeded with 100% healthy copy, I'm going to move it to an SSD. Hope I'll get there once.