Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modern (Metro) applications settings - type,format, location  (Read 13330 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Modern (Metro) applications settings - type,format, location
    « on: March 25, 2020, 05:44:43 AM »
    Hello!

I'm modifying and backup settings of standard Win32 applications lot of time directly so, that I can use settings later or after reinstall.
    Since came modern or Metro applications I never found settings like Win32 applications which are stored normally in application directory or AppData or ProgramData folders or Windows registry.
    I have no idea about format of them - Win32 applications have many times stored it in INI file.
    So, where to find modern applications settings, their format and type of storage?

Thank you for helping with in advance - it can make using Windows much more easier.
    Miro

gorge441

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Modern (Metro) applications settings - type,format, location
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
    Microsoft introduced the Windows Store apps called ‘Metro Apps’ with Windows 8. Microsoft later decided to call them ‘Modern Apps’. And as of today, in Windows 10, the store apps are simply called “Windows Apps”. Microsoft uses a hidden folder named WindowsApps to install these Metro/Modern apps. The folder is located within the Program Files folder in the system drive (C:\). Data for all of the Modern Apps are stored in the AppData folder under the user’s profile.
    Installation folder – Apps are installed to the WindowsApps folder. You can find it at this location – C:\Program Files.
    The temporary data folder (Isolated storage) – Modern apps save their data at the following location  – C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages.

Do note that both folders are hidden. They will not show under the list of folders unless you enable the display of hidden files in Windows 10. If you have enabled the hidden items, then the folders will appear in a lighter color, indicating that it is a hidden item.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »
      Thank you very much! Very much!

I have always hidden files set to show and I found locations.
      WindowsApps needs only set permissions to view/modify. I did it and I'm thankful.

Now I can do all possible - only one thing is bit problem - folder names for applications, it needs to accustom only.

Again - thank you veryvery much!
      Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »
      Here are some suggestions that are rather broad and not specific. The specific recommendations get to be much too detailed and difficult to reproduce by others and I would surely make an error divide tried to tell you how to edit something directly in the registry.

Here are the general rules that I use for making changes to my systems. These are rather broad brute force methods that tend to be more reliable but appeared to be rather awkward and clumsy.

The first order is to make up frequent backups and checkpoints in the system. Just having the opportunity to go back a day can really make a big difference.

The second-order is to have more than one user account. There does not seem to be any penalty for having several user accounts on one installation of Windows. The user account seems to take up very little space on the hard drive. In most cases your application will put different settings into each user account as need be. So having several user accounts is one way to protect yourself while making experiments on application settings.

My third order of business is the use of additional partitions. This may seem to be an overkill, but it is often help me solve the problem. Windows will allow you to have installations of Windows 10 and Windows 7 and other combinations, even to installations of the same Windows 10 build. I have actually done that and it is one way to try out something different without destroying your main installation. So I have another installation of Windows 10 on the same hard drive and I can go there and try something out to see what it does.

Yes, those three ideas seem to be severe overkill. Granted, it does seem to be that way. But from my own experience years ago I have found that backup and backup and alternative methodology can make a big difference in your success rate. Don't be afraid to make your computer work hard. Your computer is well-suited to doing hard work.

Okay, that's the end of my lecture.

Last line of dictation.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
        Thank you.
        I do it similar way. I'm using also else one step - first I try each program before installation in virtual machine. Or if is possible, best way is to find its portable version.

That'smy note.
        Miro