Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: bonehead help installing new software  (Read 2830 times)

kyotogo

bonehead help installing new software
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:14:50 PM »
 :-?I'm afraid this might be too much of a bonehead question but here you go:  I need to load new software for my new digital camera and I never know how to be sure all open and running software is closed, as the directions always advise. I have three icons in my tray: task scheduler, volume & norton antivirus. I know I need to close the norton anti, but what about the other two?...Are they considered open and running software? And if so, how do I close them? I have an older computer with win 98. Also, I thought crtl-alt-del showed me running software. Is this so? Thank you for taking time to help a bonehead user.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: bonehead help installing new software
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
    You will be right if you stop Norton Virus.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: bonehead help installing new software
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:49:13 PM »
    Generally, the prompting to close all open programs means any programs you have started from your Programs menu and that appear on your taskbar.  For example, if you have Word and Excel open, you would have an icon for each of them on your taskbar.  And, yes, these would appear in the Task Manager panel that appears when you hit Ctrl/Alt/Del, along with those programs represented by icons in the system tray (where you see the Norton anti-virus icon).

Closing programs that appear in the tray area, such as Norton Anti-Virus is also a good idea.  Anti-virus software, in particular, can sometimes interfere with software installation.