Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Soft bad sectors  (Read 26486 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Soft bad sectors
    « on: April 01, 2020, 11:42:55 PM »
    How to get rid of soft bad sectors obtained from cloning a faulty disc?

OliverYY

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Soft bad sectors
      « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:55 AM »
      have you run CHKDSK command to repair soft bad sectors? here are steps:

1. Press the Windows key and type cmd.
      2. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator".
      3. Type chkdsk E: /f /r /x and hit Enter. (Replace E with the drive letter of your hard drive.)
      you can live once

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:26:34 AM »
        have you run CHKDSK command to repair soft bad sectors? here are steps:

1. Press the Windows key and type cmd.
        2. Right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator".
        3. Type chkdsk E: /f /r /x and hit Enter. (Replace E with the drive letter of your hard drive.)
        Thanks OliverYY,
        I've already tried that with no success.

OliverYY

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »
          then that drive is completely failing and you need to back it up. althought there are programs claim to "fix" bad sectors without data loss, but in my experience, they never have.

I would advise you to recover the data from the bad sector first first and you can use data recovery software like iBoysoft Data Recovery to recover your data: https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/free-data-recovery.html. once you will get the whole data recovered, it's time to reformat the drive for usable again.

but formatting can only fix bad sectors that aren't physical, generally related to a software issue that leads the sector to be marked bad. if you fail to format your drive, then the issue results from physical corruption. Physically damaged bad sectors of the hard drive can not be repaired, prepare for replacement. if it's still under warranty, who owns it doesn't matter. i had a 1 TB Seagate drive with some bad sectors, I sent it to Seagate and they shipped me out a brand new drive.

good luck!
          you can live once

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:15 AM »
            then that drive is completely failing and you need to back it up. althought there are programs claim to "fix" bad sectors without data loss, but in my experience, they never have.

I would advise you to recover the data from the bad sector first first and you can use data recovery software like iBoysoft Data Recovery to recover your data: https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/free-data-recovery.html. once you will get the whole data recovered, it's time to reformat the drive for usable again.

but formatting can only fix bad sectors that aren't physical, generally related to a software issue that leads the sector to be marked bad. if you fail to format your drive, then the issue results from physical corruption. Physically damaged bad sectors of the hard drive can not be repaired, prepare for replacement. if it's still under warranty, who owns it doesn't matter. i had a 1 TB Seagate drive with some bad sectors, I sent it to Seagate and they shipped me out a brand new drive.

good luck!
            Thanks OliverYY,
            Actually there's no data in there to be backed up. I need to have this HDD in it's original condition, namely to be able to factory restore it, which it doesn't because of those sectors. That's the reason why I cloned it to another HDD. This new HDD has no physical issues. Every time after formatting chkdsk shows 0 KB in bad sectors. It's only after restoring that image from the faulty one that it shows 452 KB in bad sector. Hope I made myself clear, let me know if not please.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
            Download and run seatools: download hard disk test

You cannot "get rid" of bad sectors. Running either chkdsk /r or the repair function of a reliable hd utility will move the data from those bad sectors to good sectors and mark the bad sectors as unusable. If there are a LOT of bad sectors you should replace the drive.
            Also, I deleted your duplicate post. Only one thread per topic please.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »
              Download and run seatools: download hard disk test

You cannot "get rid" of bad sectors. Running either chkdsk /r or the repair function of a reliable hd utility will move the data from those bad sectors to good sectors and mark the bad sectors as unusable. If there are a LOT of bad sectors you should replace the drive.
              Also, I deleted your duplicate post. Only one thread per topic please.
              OK, and how to do that, so that I’m able to factory reset my system? As I told earlier I cannot since it keeps telling “...impossible...” because of those bad sectors.

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
              You download the bootable version to a usb drive, boot the that drive, and run the diagnostic.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
              use the /b option on chkdsk. This will re-evaluate whether the sectors marked as bad in the file system are indeed bad. It's actually designed for this particular scenario:

NTFS only: Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all allocated and free clusters for errors. /b includes the functionality of /r. Use this parameter after imaging a volume to a new hard disk drive.

From here.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:10:21 AM »
                use the /b option on chkdsk. This will re-evaluate whether the sectors marked as bad in the file system are indeed bad. It's actually designed for this particular scenario:

From here.
                Thanks BC_Programmer,
                I"m away now, will try when come back.
                Thanks a lot!

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:15:04 AM »

From here.
                  Thanks a lot!
                  That really solved the issue.