Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wi Fi Printer Drops Off Network  (Read 4930 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Wi Fi Printer Drops Off Network
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
I have a Canon TR8520 on my Wi Fi network. It frequently does not print:
- Documents sit in "Printer Properties" and never print
- Sometimes I get a generic "Error" message
- Sometimes I can print from my PC and she will have errors from hers.
- Sometimes my wife's iPhone can "see" the printer, some times it can't
- Other errors I can't think of right now

Usually I go into services.msc, stop the Print Spooler and restart, and everything is fonzie. On rare occcasions, I've had to go into Win32 and delete what's in the spool - but usually that spooler restart kicks out the jobs. But of course, that's only if the job makes it into the spooler (if my wife's phone doesn't see it, for example, that doesn't help).

But this is getting to be untenable.

This is happening on my home wifi network, which tends to be pretty robust. It's been taking a punch lately (Zoom, Teams, Netflix, Sonos) but the printer is the only thing suffering.

This seems to be happening daily, but it could be more or less often. I notice its IP changes frequently. It is set to never go to sleep.

We both are using Windows Surfaces; hers is SP2 and mine is SP5. Both are Win 10 64 bit.

Is there anything I can do about this? Canon's help sites are pretty weak. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling on both PCs. A "factory reset" on the printer itself doesn't seem to do the trick.

I recently bought the Canon because it was recommended, and I had to scrap all my HP printers because they stopped playing nice with my PC.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wi Fi Printer Drops Off Network
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »
.Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your Canon printer.
Without more detail, I guess you're using some type of 802.11 wireless connection from your router to your printer. As you know, this type of connection is not guaranteed to be error-free. Yet most people are able to use it in their home in the distance between the router and the device is only a few meters, or about 20 feet or so. The wireless signal also have to compete with fluorescent lights, microwave ovens and any other wireless division devices nearby. Or maybe that is not the problem. However, you have to consider moving the printer around because that's what everybody else is going to tell you anyway.
That's the best I can offer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »
Go to Device Manager...rite clik the printer and select properties...select Advanced...uncheck "Let Windows turn this off to save power"...
Reboot after.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:23 PM »
I don't have an "Advanced" tab (see attached picture). I feel like I went through this with my HP printer, too...

In the meantime, how will changing that on *my* machine impact the printer's visibility on, say, my wife's iPhone?

Thanks!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
Whats in the settings Tab ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »
Not a whole lot.

gorge441

Rookie
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »
If the auto-connect method is not working then the manual connects maybe work. Click HERE for information on connecting the printer to the network using the Manual Connect method. Click HERE for information on connecting the printer to the Windows OS.
Hope your problem will be solved.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
Thanks. The challenge is in its sporadic nature.

Most of the time - 95 percent of the time - even if it won't print, the display on the printer shows a legitimate IP on my network. (A handful of times it's had the 169.169 nonsense). And if it shows a legit IP on the network, I can go to URL. But that doesn't mean it actually prints!

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
Also, lately - I will print a document. Even after I have a hard copy in my hands, it will show in the queue as status "Printing", and the LCD Panel on my printer shows "Printing..."