Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WMP on windows 10  (Read 31759 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

WMP on windows 10
    « on: May 14, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »
    I have Windows 10 64 bit v 1903 os build 18362.778 - kb4549951 - can I install a completely new version of Windows Media Player?  I have somehow messed things up by uninstalling whatever WMP I had and now have no trace of WMP anywhere on my PC - just not listed anywhere.  All online advice is about reinstalling by using "Turn features on or off" but there is no WMP listed so I'm stumped.  I had thought that I could remove WMP completely and start afresh.  Any advice appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: WMP on windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:15:55 AM »
    Windows Media Player is in "Turn Features On Or Off" under "Media Features" (click on the plus sign)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
      I already tried that, before my post. On my pc There is no plus sign by Media Features and nothing happens when I click that feature.   That's what I mean - there seems to be no way to connect  to get anything done via Windows 10. That's why I thought perhaps I could download WMP as a separate, new, program.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:51 AM »

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
        Thanks for interest and the link, Allan.  Again, before my post, I tried that and went through all the settings list = Apps features, Manage Optional Features, Add Feature - then nothing - WMP not listed at all.   I don't think it's going to let me get WMP.  I used it mainly for music cd management - I'll try another media player.

Cody49

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 03:56:19 AM »
          Windows Media Player is part of an upgrade or a standard Windows 10 installation. New installations (or new computers with Windows 10 installed) will also have Media Player installed too. So this will work in both situations.

To remove it, open Cortana and search for "Turn on or off Windows Features". You will see an option at the top:

If you select the top option, you will see a window open up. From here you can expand the "Media Features" section, and uncheck "Windows Media Player"

Then click OK. Media Player will then be removed from your system. You can add it back using the same method.

kburra

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 07:56:01 AM »
            VLC media player is far better, VLC is the best choice for many people across the globe, and it supports all types of formats and versions at large.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 04:10:01 AM »
              Thanks for further interest - I have now given up on WMP and now have VLC .

kburra

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:16 AM »
                Happy to hear it :)

leoclarke103

Starter

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »
                  If you want to reinstall Windows Media Player, try the following:
                  Click the Start  button, type features, and select Turn Windows features on or off.
                  Scroll down and expand Media Features, clear the Windows Media Player check box, and click OK.
                  Restart your device. Windows Media Player should be uninstalled.
                  Repeat step 1.
                  Scroll down and expand Media Features, select the Windows Media Player check box, and click OK.
                  Restart your device. Windows Media player should now be reinstalled.

I hope this helps!
                  Leo Clarke

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 08:18:54 AM »
                  You are resurrecting Posts that are over 6 months old...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "