Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: (Long post warning) Moved CPU coole now experiencing massive frame drops  (Read 9960 times)

stickguy2009

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Recently I realized my CPU cooler (CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler) was on backwards. I realized I had installed it so that the fan was trying to intake air through the back of the case (the exhaust fan) and exhaust air through the front of the case (the intake fan) I opened up my PC and switched it around. Upon doing this I realized shorty after that while my computer booted my CPU performance was now and is currently greatly reduced.

What's weird is that the thermals seem great, but I am still getting frame drops in Far Cry 5 and in Tom Raider. Before I would get 140 to 100 FPS now I get 81 to 50 FPS in Far cry 5 and I went from 126 to 100 in Tomb Raider. What's even weirder is that I bench marked my CPU and system with user bench mark and it I got a better score then I've ever gotten and my computer keeps telling me that everything is running smoothly.

I fear that I may have shorted something out, and it maybe a mother board issue but that is only a best guess. I of course made sure the PC was off but, IDK I'm really at a loss here so anything you can think of to help would be much appreciated because this problem is bugging the *censored* out of me.

The way I see it the main question seems to be:

What causes a CPU to preform worse in CPU intensive games/apps besides of course poor thermals?

Things I've tried but haven't worked

Resetting windows

Re installing drivers

Re installing Far cry 5

Re installing Tomb Raider

Updating the BIOS

Unplugging all cables from my PSU and plugging them back in, making sure all connections are tight and secure on the PSU and mother board headers

Wiping away excess thermal paste

Re downloaded NVIDIA control panel and experience.

Tightened down CPU cooler bracket evenly as I could to ensure even heat transfer

Moved the CPU cooler to were it was, still got same performance.

Re seating RAM

Crying

Taking Adderal

Checking my thermals with Core temp

Optimizing my fan curve with my BIOS. That is also what I did previously when my system was working normally.

Scanned the drive that my games are on for errors and moved Far cry 5 to other drive

Other things that I did that maybe could be an issue.

Moved RAM every time I needed to access CPU fan header. Perhaps the Ram I got was set to a faster speed by default and I didn't notice. XMP is currently off.

removed one HDD and reinstalled my 1TB HDD

500GB HHD was a boot drive for another version of windows

Banged a screw against the mother board by accident

Sprayed out dust so with maybe some got in the wrong place?

Yanked on the CPU cooler cord to get it out, perhaps loosening the wire to much.

Moves the location of two fan splitters from one mother board fan header to another

Perhaps reset my BIOS settings when I unplugged everything.

Messed with some Java and NVIDIA settings to try and get mine craft to run better

Had excesses thermal paste that maybe shorted something out

Reinstalled a few different hard drives and had windows auto run a disk checker a few times when I had to hit the power switch on my PC. No errors were found however.

PC part picker part list

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bDhnq3

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Are the framerates better an hour after the adderal ? ?...Just curious.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stickguy2009

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Are the framerates better an hour after the adderal ? ?...Just curious.

LOL no they seem to be the exact same/ within the margin of error.