Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5524 times)

Wannabeliterate2

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello
    « on: July 07, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »
    This is my first post.  Just wasn't sure where to ask questions about how programs work.  I am an electronics tech by trade but I am embarrassingly computer illiterate.  For instance, my desktop often freezes for 15-30min at a time and I believe it is my Malwayrebytes av but have no way of finding out.  Anyways, I figured i'd like to see if I could maybe make a career shift to programming or networking and just want to test the waters so to speak.   

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hello
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
    Hello and welcome to the ever changing world of computers.

1)     If you suspect a program is causing a problem you can always un install it with as shown here

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-uninstall-programs-on-windows-10?r=AU&IR=T

If the program was working It sometimes just need repairing which you can also do from add remove programs

2)      Windows keeps logs of problems and crashes. These logs can tell you a lot about a problem and the cause. This site describes how to access the logs and to get information on possible causes.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/windows-10-crash-log.html

3)      When the computer freezes you can get information in the task manager of programs using a lot of resources or halted.

https://www.howtogeek.com/405806/windows-task-manager-the-complete-guide/

Other things to check
    does the mouse still move.
    Are you able to alt tab between programs.
    Is the time incrementing.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Wannabeliterate2

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Hello
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
      Hello Lisa Marie,

Thank you for your very nice welcome.

I will try those suggestions out. 

I am however a bit worried about the Malwarebytes av since I actually have paid subscription. I am also thinking of contacting them to see if there could be a way to schedule scans or updates or whatever it is that hogs my pc's resources.

I am glad to have found this forum. I feel I could learn about programming and networking on my own and maybe seek help from here.

My ultimate goal (not sure if this is actually just a pipe dream since I don't have a good idea of how deep and complex programming is) is to be able to perhaps write my own av app.  I understand this may take years to do if at all possible.

Again, thank you, and I wish you a good day or evening where you're at.

W.