Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen after post.  (Read 3637 times)

CthulhuSaves

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Black screen after post.
    « on: July 21, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »
    Hiya,

I'm stumped over this, and could use some help.

I'm running Win 10 Pro on an old Dell T-3500 PC. I leave it running most of the time, and just shut off the monitor. This way I can have apps running, or quick access the system via Teamviewer.

So I open the remote desktop (Teamviewer) and the window is black. I go to the actual machine, turn on the monitor, and yep, blackness. Hard boot it, post passes, see the white-on-black Windows logo along with the spinning dots in a circle, which goes away, followed by the spinning dots coming back. Then blackness.

Reboot several times, same thing each time. Tried booting from USB to recover, but all options fail.

The Teamviewer bit really puzzles me. If this were a driver issue, I'd still see the desktop through Teamviewer, but no, I'm getting the same problem through it as when sitting in front of the thing. The PC is listed as online, and connects, but I can't see anything. Weird.

I believe the most recent Windows feature update likely installed itself, but can't recall if I set the system to auto-update or just notify me. The timing is suspicious, at least (I had trouble with it on another system).

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Black screen after post.
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:13:16 PM »
    My thoughts are that its video card driver related. If you have a different video card to install vs running it on integrated video you might find that it is fixed of this issue. One test i would do before spending money on a video card if you dont readily have one to toss into it is to create a bootable linux usb stick and boot it off that and run the computer on that with Linux to see if it behaves or has the same display issue. It will probably be fine with Linux but not Win 10.

kburra

Beginner

Re: Black screen after post.
      « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:38:56 AM »
      Will it boot in to SAFE mode and display?