Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with usb, usb not being detected  (Read 4023 times)

jaypangmi

problem with usb, usb not being detected
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:11:38 PM »
hi,
I'm very new to this forum. So, i don't think i've misposted the topic. The problem i'm having is that i updated my existing usb to be usb2.0. Still it was working but now it is showing problem. When I tried to install web cam a message is displayed that there is no working USB installed in my computer. I'm using Windowx XP professional sp2. I also updated BIOS. My motherboard is from intel D845GVFN.

thank you in advance..
Jay

pcdoc4christ

Re: problem with usb, usb not being detected
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »
Jay:

You've come to the right place!

A few things to try (in order of increasing difficulty):

* Unplug the webcam and then plug it back in to the USB port.
* Plug a different USB device into the USB port to see if it works.
* Install the drivers using the CD that came with the webcam.
* Check the Windows Device Manager to see if the USB ports are operating properly.
* Check the Windows Event Viewer to see if any errors give a clue to the cause of the problem.
* Check the BIOS setup to see if the USB support is enabled.

Let us know if you need help with any of these suggestions, or if you tried all these and need more suggestions.  Also, let us know if the webcam worked before you upgraded the BIOS.

Best regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 11:52:25 AM by pcdoc4christ »

jaypangmi

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:02:19 AM »
hi Doc,
thanks for your reply.

Ya i've unplugged the web cam. I've even uninstalled the driver and the software of the cam. But when I try installing it again it shows me a dialog box saying that there is no working USB port in your system..something like this.
I tried to check it out in the Device Manager but there is no any mentioning of USB.
I don't think I can find the information in the Event Viewer coz there are so many to find.
Also in the BIOS setup, when I enter the USB configuration there is nothing there no any options, no any informations nothing except the USB configuration title itself.
So I suspect that my USB port in my motherboard itself has been damaged..
So, please say me what it actually can be.

I'm using Windowx XP Pro, as well as Windows 2000 Server.
I've Intel motherboard D845GVFN

If it can be the case that my system is not supporting the USB2.0 then I wonder how it can be uninstalled so that I'll be using the same old version which I already had.

thank you,
Jay

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 08:52:28 PM »
    The problem i'm having is that i updated my existing usb to be usb2.0.
    How did you do this 'update'?

jaypangmi

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:41:12 AM »
    hi updated the BIOS with the update file named "FN84510A.86A.0023.P07.EB" which I downloaded from www.intel.com. I just ran the setup file.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
    After updating the BIOS does everything else work fine? Were there any warning messages during this procedure?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 05:18:03 PM »
    hi Doc,
    thanks for your reply.

Ya i've unplugged the web cam. I've even uninstalled the driver and the software of the cam. But when I try installing it again it shows me a dialog box saying that there is no working USB port in your system..something like this.
    I tried to check it out in the Device Manager but there is no any mentioning of USB.
    I don't think I can find the information in the Event Viewer coz there are so many to find.
    Also in the BIOS setup, when I enter the USB configuration there is nothing there no any options, no any informations nothing except the USB configuration title itself.
    So I suspect that my USB port in my motherboard itself has been damaged..
    So, please say me what it actually can be.

I'm using Windowx XP Pro, as well as Windows 2000 Server.
    I've Intel motherboard D845GVFN

If it can be the case that my system is not supporting the USB2.0 then I wonder how it can be uninstalled so that I'll be using the same old version which I already had.

thank you,
    Jay

Do you have any other USB devices you can plug into the USB port, like a removable storage device (which is sometimes called a thumb drive or flash drive or key-chain drive)?  If so, try that to see if Windows detects the device.  If it does, the USB port is working fine.

Best regards,
    Doc

jaypangmi

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »
    no there was no any warnings while or after the installation. Instead, the computer rebooted and showed the dialog that the installation was successful.

ya i tried connecting pen-drive in the USB port but didn't detect. The main thing is the USB itself is not being detected in my system. Not in the Device Manager, Not in the BIOS setup, not even when i tried to find it running the msinfo32.exe file.
    thinking that if its a problem of OS, i formatted my computer and re-installed the OS but same problem persists. Now, i feel its not due to the malfunctioning of OS coz nothing is shows in the USB Configuration in BIOS setup itself.
    I took it to the computer mechanics too but they too couldn't figure out.

regards,
    Jay

jaypangmi

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:21:02 AM »
    no there was no any warnings while or after the installation. Instead, the computer rebooted and showed the dialog that the installation was successful.

ya i tried connecting pen-drive in the USB port but didn't detect. The main thing is the USB itself is not being detected in my system. Not in the Device Manager, Not in the BIOS setup, not even when i tried to find it running the msinfo32.exe file.  
    thinking that if its a problem of OS, i formatted my computer and re-installed the OS but same problem persists. Now, i feel its not due to the malfunctioning of OS coz nothing is shows in the USB Configuration in BIOS setup itself.  
    I took it to the computer mechanics too but they too couldn't figure out.  

Can it be the problem of the driver of USB ? coz I never used the USB port infront of my CPU. When I tried using it getting it connected by the hardware mechanic that USB port was also not working, ie. wasn't detecting the device connected.

regards,
    Jay

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced

jaypangmi

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 10:38:16 AM »
      thanks for all the replies,
      its solved now. USB is back.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »
      Please let us know what worked, for the archives.  ;)